Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted to law school w/o undergrad degree?  (Read 4266 times)

hasikelee

• View Profile
    • Email
Accepted to law school w/o undergrad degree?
« on: November 30, 2005, 04:08:23 PM »
Hello boardies,
  I am looking for opinions/feedback on going to law school without any undergraduate schooling.

My lsat score was 149, my highschool gpa was 3.9 and I have focused my free time on logic, debate, writing, history and public interest issues regarding ethics/human rights.

I am looking to attend SLU, Loyola LA, or WashU with a focus on public interest and international law.

What are the chances?
The backflips, the beam, I can do. Gymnastics is my forte. Oh, I'm sorry, you meant mental semantics? My bad.

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accepted to law school w/o undergrad degree?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 04:17:40 PM »
i dont mean to be discouraging, but to be accepted to any of those schools you would need a good lsat and a degree. with no degree you would need a stellar lsat and some rivetting life experience. A 149 is considered very low, even for a tier 4.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 04:18:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure that any ABA accredited school will require their students to have an undergraduate degree. However, there are some non-ABA accredited that might be cool w/ it.

trouble

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 04:32:47 PM »
Like giraffe said, any ABA-accredited school will require a degree.  I believe all the schools you've listed are ABA-accredited.  Besides, even at a 4th-tier school, you're going to be up against people who have degrees with 3.0+ GPAs, 155+ LSAT scores, and lots of interesting life experience.  So, if law school is really what you want, you need to go to undergrad and get a degree.  Your high school GPA was high, so it shouldn't be that difficult for you to finish out an undergrad degree.

Addendum:  And oh yeah, a non-ABA-accredited school might be cool with it, but you can't take the bar exam unless you graduate from an ABA-accredited school.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 04:50:51 PM »
First time I've seen someone list their HS-GPA in their stats.
Classic.
Air Force JAG Corps

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 06:43:39 PM »
Addendum:  And oh yeah, a non-ABA-accredited school might be cool with it, but you can't take the bar exam unless you graduate from an ABA-accredited school.

Not in California and a couple other states.

trouble

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 08:24:45 PM »
"Not in California and a couple other states."

Ooops, I stand corrected - at least, on California.  I haven't seen any other states that allow bar passage without graduating from an ABA-accredited school.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 08:26:02 PM »
You took the LSAT without answering this question first? Maybe you should go to college...

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 10:36:43 PM »
Some accredited law schools will take you before finishing undergrad if you are going to finish concurrent with law school.  But if you haven't had any undergrad...you should go get a degree first.  Your LSAT score will probably improve then, too. 

Unless you have some serious connections plus minority status, you aren't getting in those schools with a 149. 

hasikelee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 01:21:08 AM »
Thanks, everyone!

A friend of mine signed me up for the lsat as a surprise and I took the test the next week. It really got me interested in studying law as a background for my career goals. Last year, I was accepted at SLU for undergrad school, but financially unable to come up with even enough to pay the minimum on the loans, besides my parents refusing to cosign. So I figured maybe I could just go straight to law school.

:0 I didn't know if 149 was bad or not, but it sounds as if it is horribly below the performing standard. It was worth a shot, though, guys, thanks!
The backflips, the beam, I can do. Gymnastics is my forte. Oh, I'm sorry, you meant mental semantics? My bad.