Law School Discussion

Accepted to law school w/o undergrad degree?

Re: Accepted to law school w/o undergrad degree?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 01:26:07 AM »
this is a joke right?

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 11:01:31 PM »
this is a joke right?

No, really, I DID reprimand him. He thought I was going to leap for joy at seeing my name on an lsat admission stub. Ha. Ha. Not.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 12:21:39 AM »
Some of you guys are being really mean. I, personally, have gotten the impression from some posts that you think you're better than others who haven't graduated from college. Maybe that's not what some of you really feel, but that is the impression that I get.

In other countries, including the UK, ppl don't need to graduate from college before entering law school. At the London School of Economics you can get a bachelor's of law and once you are licensed in England, you can take the NY bar. (So I've heard but have not confirmed).

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 04:05:07 AM »
This is kind of funny to me because I tried to do the same thing (in so many ways), too.

When I was 16 (I graduated early), I went to SLU undergrad on a full tuition scholarship and as a pre-law scholar (back then, it was guaranteed acceptance to the law school no matter how you scored on the LSAT -- not sure if it's still like that).

After taking the LSAT when I was 18 (and scoring in the mid 160s), I decided I didn't want to finish college at all. I applied to Tulane and Loyola, both which only required 90 credits (for those who don't believe me, LOOK AT TULANE'S APPLICATION QUESTION #21 before telling me that it is not possible to attend tulane without a degree) and was accepted to both with fairly large scholarships.

I decided to leave undergrad, forego my guaranteed acceptance and scholarship to SLU, and attend one of those schools (I won't tell you which).

BIG MISTAKE.

1) Do not EVER go to law school without having your degree and/or being so young. You are younger than your peers, you are less prepared than your peers. It doesn't matter whether you scored 149, 155, or 166 -- you will NOT be as prepared as your older, more experienced classmates. I scored in the top 5% of my class, and within ONE week of class, I knew I was screwed. They were more mature and I knew from just one week of class that they were going to do better in school.

2) This probably won't happen to you, but Hurricane Katrina happened and I took that opportunity to withdraw. Now I am back finishing my undergrad degree -- without my scholarship.

The moral of the story is that anything could happen. You could drop out of law school. You could flunk out. You could get sick. You may have a personal situation that required you leave the school. You could have financial problems. What would you do then without an undergrad degree?

3) Even with a scholarship, I had to loan 20K/yr because my law school was so expensive. Maybe when you're older, it'll seem less daunting -- but for someone my age, I wanted to shoot myself that week of law school every time I thought about how much debt I would be in. I am still not even sure whether I'll get my money back (long story). But like, without an undergrad degree, loaning that money is doubly risky because if for some reason you do not finish law school, you will be f**cked.

Just a BAD idea overall...even if some schools allow it. Get your undergrad degree, and get your LSAT score up.

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2005, 07:08:59 AM »
Although the replies might be initially discouraging, you have all given me some things to think about and some good suggestions. I'm really disappointed about the 5-year thing... is it that you can't take the test again and the score remains the same?
You can take the test again, but unlike the SAT, most law schools average the scores.  If you were to prepare and get a 170, I think many who average would write off the first one anyway.

Don't think you need to go to a traditional school.  At my law school, one of the best students has his sole degree from Univ. of Phoenix, mostly online.  He actually really changed my perspective on those types of schools.  So there are plenty of ways to keep costs down.  A solid LSAT will wipe away doubt about the quality of a school very quickly.  That was originally the test's job, to be the great leveller.

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 05:21:26 PM »
this is a joke right?

No, really, I DID reprimand him. He thought I was going to leap for joy at seeing my name on an lsat admission stub. Ha. Ha. Not.

I think your original post was a joke, you so funny.

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 10:49:15 AM »

[/quote]

I think your original post was a joke, you so funny.
[/quote]

I don't know why it could be a joke. Due to finances, math problems and career goals, I was hoping to skip over undergrad school.

What I had in mind was volunteering services for human rights issues. I am also engaged and planning to have a family sooner instead of later. So taking a 5 year tour of undergrad school, then a few more years for law school, with thousands of dollars in loans, only to settle down and start a family/offer free legal services is hardly reasonable.

I'm looking for a quick, inexpensive and extensive education to help me help others. Although it would be interesting, I don't want a profession or a job with a private firm. My fiance's father, in fact, is head consul for a company and I've seen the problems it creates with family life.

Still, I feel that I have some talents, undeveloped, that I could use to help others. I just don't have the money and time.

It's a frustrating feeling and I wanted to see if anyone had ideas, especially considering others might feel the same way.

Suen2b

• Sue 'em all (and I will collect the fee) ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2005, 05:04:30 PM »

Undergrad really is a big waste of time (and $$$), but if that is what you need in order to get where you want, then you have no choice.
 Still, I see no point whatsoever in going to undergrad if you don't have 2.

The LSAT thing is more of concern, but if you can get in where you want then I don't even see a worry with that.

Whatever you do, don't think of undergrad as any kind of learning. It's a waste of time, money and it probably clouds your mind more than it boosts it.

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2005, 05:43:21 PM »
From your post it sounds like your finances and school funding sources are tight, but if there is any way at all for you to complete undergraduate school, I highly recommend it. Even if you do so by distance learning, its better than no attending. There are a lot of internet based fully accredited undergraduate degree programs out there and some may cost less than a fixed based program. Go to law school first, asuuming it were possible is putting the cart before the horse. Not recommended!

Also, just to add to an earlier reply to your post, there is yet another state I know of that allows non-ABA graduates of one law school located in the state of Tennessee to sity for the bar exam there [See: Nashville Night Law School]. I live in New England and in Massachusetts, both Southern New England School of Law and Massacusetts Law School's graduates are eligible to sit for the Massachusetts Bar Exam.

What ever you decide of course is your decision, but I can not stress strongly enough that you go to college first and finish your undergraduate degree...then if you are still motivated to go law school, go for it!

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005, 06:34:24 PM »
"Not in California and a couple other states."

Ooops, I stand corrected - at least, on California.  I haven't seen any other states that allow bar passage without graduating from an ABA-accredited school.

Alabama and Georgia do.