Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who is law school meant for?  (Read 2968 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who is law school meant for?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 10:09:09 PM »
the money should not be reason alone to attend law school. sure, you may work hard in law school. you may finish at the top of the class - you may get that big law job in new york. you may get your 125g - but you're still only getting paid 14.02 / hr for the work that you are putting in :)

if you are hestitant about law school, if you are unsure that you would find it interesting - i would recommend that you research your ambitions in a little more detail. law school is hard, it is a commitment, and is something that if you do correctly will more or less be all consuming. a 125g hanging from the end of the proverbial stick won't be enough to get you there ... there has to be some sort of other motivation

is there something about law school that you feel you could be passionate about? is there something about it that you find overtly interesting? if not, i suggest that you look elsewhere ..

4salebooksyay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 12:40:09 AM »
No way! Don't do it! I am dropping out after this semester, because I hate the work.

Now, if you like reading cases and are willing to spend most of your time sweating over the most minute of details, then go to law school. But if you don't like those two things don't go. Save money and your time.

Here is my theory on the money issue. There are too many lawyers already, which will and has caused the cost of legal fees to decline. I am not saying that making 200,000 and up is impossible, because there are many firms that pay their employees such salaries. I am saying that since there are so many lawyers, those jobs are hard hard hard to get.

My advice is take the LSAT, and if you get a good score and get into a top 20 school then go, because you will get a job that pays a boat load of money. Maybe such a large salary can compensate for no life and a boring job.

Good luck with your decision.

You have it down. Unless you go to a top 14 school, you will not make 6 figures out of school...unless you are at the very TOP of your class. Grading is subjective as hell-a lot of the people who are doing well at my law school were not A students in undergrad. Don't risk the $$$ unless you really,really, really want to be a lawyer.

Suen2b

• Sue 'em all (and I will collect the fee) ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 08:35:44 PM »

I always tell people about anything in life that it is all about how much you want it. Sure, if all lawyers made millions, lawschool would be more competitive, but at the same time, it is not all about finishing number 1 or 2. And, like others say, grading IS subjective. This is not a math or bio course, OF COURSE it is subjective. If law weren't subjective, then we would not need any lawyers, as everything could be calculated.
 As far as connections go, try to do things different from the flock, while staying in touch with the mainstream. Don't stand out as competitive, but rather play your ploys behind the scenes.

Besides getting good grades and making connections, there's the other pieve here- the art of practicing and arguing your case. I personally believe these are skills that will only reach it's full when you are yourself and play on your strong sides.

There's enough $$$ out there, but you got to sacrifice for a few years.

btw, there ARE quite a few lawyers that get rich. Nothing is free, nothing is easy, nothing is cheap.

Be yourself and BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 09:14:29 PM »
"Be yourself and BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!"

Don't stop, believing!
HOLD ON TO THAT FEELING!
Air Force JAG Corps

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 10:24:17 PM »
The only question to ask yourself is do I want to be a lawyer?

If yes --> take LSAT and attend lawschool(loans will pay themselves off)
If no --> don't go to law school

The "you must go to a top school crowd" is partially correct.  It is easier to get into biglaw if you go to a top school.

Biglaw is roughly 1900-2100 billable hours a year, which comes out to 2400 hours of work a year.  Starting salary is 125,000, and with bonuses probably approaches 150,000.  Many people hate it, few people love it, and most suffer through it to pay off loans.

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 10:35:44 PM »
Elemnopee...

Did you just IRAC your answer above?  You are very prepared for finals...

doesnotallowgreekcharacte

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 01:46:44 AM »
Who is law school meant for? 

This is kinda asking "what is life meant for?"!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 10:10:43 AM »
The question is not: do I want to become a lawyer.  I'm at law school, I love it here, and I do not want to be a lawyer.  Ok, I guess the question is: do I want to be a lawyer, but that's a different question than: do I want to be an attorney.

The real questions are:
Do I have goals that a professional training in analyzing problems and crafting solutions will help me reach?
Am I intrigued by legal, political, and social issue, and in finding out how to solve them and why they exist?
Do I like to read a lot?
Am I intrinsically motivated?  (This is huge in law school where the external payoff for the work you do either never materializes or takes a very long time)
Am I threatened by forcing myself to analyze my principles and beliefs?
Am I able to see both the forest and trees (the big picture and the details)?
Am I able to either embrace competition in a healthy, productive way or insulate myself from its negative effects?
Am I able to see the same 100-300 people every day for 1-3 years?

I think far too many people, when someone asks them if they should go to law school, focus on what happens after law school.  The operative word in law school is "school".  If you are sick of pencils, books, teachers' dirty looks, law school isn't for you, and you will likely be too miserable to complete it before you get to be what you really want to be.

Go sit in classes, go to a law library (if you're near one) and flip through a case book.  Talk to law students both around exam time and during calmer periods.  See if you would enjoy the three-year experience.  Sure it's nice to have a goal to get to afterwards, but you have to get through law school first, so I would focus on that instead of what comes after.

Suen2b

• Sue 'em all (and I will collect the fee) ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 06:59:20 PM »

It's only three years. Not a big deal. Sure it's got it's perils and trials, but every stage of life has challenges.

Thinking about the $$$'s you will reap afterwards is more than enough motivation ;)

VirtualJD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »
Law school is the toughest school I've ever attended: it might not be the hardest academically, which at times it is, and  it might not be the most memorization I've ever done, but it usually is.  Attending law school because of the potential money and stature, or prestige, is a sure-fire recipe for failure.  You'll either flunk out of law school or not stick with the law as a career.  Go to any school, start any career, because you are enthusiastic about that work.  Start that career because you would make it a hobby if you couldn't do it for a living.  Start that career because you love it: go to law school because you love the law.

Law school is tough, but a passion for the law, and lots of hours studying, will get you through it.  Most people who go to law school on a whim, won't finish.  That's a waste of time, tuition, and a seat someone who wants it could have filled.