Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preparing for ConLaw Exam?  (Read 1231 times)

laurenh2004

• View Profile
    • Email
Preparing for ConLaw Exam?
« on: November 28, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »
Does anyone have effective tips for studying for a Con Law final?  I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to organize my outline so it will be useful on an exam.  I've tried discussing the material with classmates, but it seems like even the studious ones are as lost as I am in there because our Prof isn't very good and neither is the text book.  I have Chemerinsky's hornbook and it has been very helpful, but I've found doing hypos in the E&Es to be the most effective studying method for my other classes.  I hear its not so good for understanding Con law though, so any other suggestions?  Also, my prof only has one old exam posted for us to look at (of course), so is the best thing to just use old Con Law exams from other professors at my school?  Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Constitutional Law
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:30:31 PM »
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing for ConLaw Exam?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 04:52:06 PM »
I down loaded the lexis outline. I've got a few other outlines. I've got the Q&A book since my prof. tends to use short answer/multiple choice/T&F over large issue-spotters.

My plan is to look at major caselines, evolution, and current state of the law/tests.

Any thoughts on this? This is my only closed-book final this semester, and it scares me the most.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
OP - although the Chereminsky and E&E were nice to read along with during the semester, they don't seem quite right to "bring it all together" here at the end. Personally, i've found the Emanuel ConLaw outline very useful. Obviously, it's not as detailed on certain areas as my professor has drilled down into the various topics, but it provides a great general baseline framework into which i'm able to input all of the more specific notes i've taken in class.

laurenh2004

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 12:49:42 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I attended a BarBri lecture for Con Law that helped put things in a "big picture" context and really helped my understanding and (I hope) the effectiveness of my outline.  I was thinking about picking up the Lexis Q&A for Con Law to practice.  Anyone know anything about that book or have suggestions for a better one? 

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 06:59:21 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I attended a BarBri lecture for Con Law that helped put things in a "big picture" context and really helped my understanding and (I hope) the effectiveness of my outline.  I was thinking about picking up the Lexis Q&A for Con Law to practice.  Anyone know anything about that book or have suggestions for a better one? 
I would go back and look at the major cases - Lopez, Morrison, Printz...
I have found that once you find the big picture, reviewing the cases fine tunes everything.