• View Profile
« on: November 28, 2005, 08:48:41 AM »

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: full scholarships
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:36:41 AM »
Some California schools' scholarships are harder to get than other schools'. If you do well on the LSAT, you should definately get a scholarship from somewhere, and most schools have full scholarships available. If you get a 160+, I'd guess you could get a full ride to a few Cali schools... if you want a full ride to one of the TOP cali schools, you'll need at least a 170... HTH

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

LSDer555

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 06:52:59 PM »
A number of schools do offer full scholarships, and yes they are very competitive.  Your GPA definitely would be in the range for these, and the fact that you are a foreign student might help with admissions boards that look for diverse perspectives.  Even with those considerations, you'd probably need at least a 170 to get a full ride anywhere.

The Law School Admission Council (LSAC) and American Bar Association (ABA) maintain an excellent directory of ALL ABA-Approved law schools.  This directory includes the number and percentage of students getting a full ride or more than full ride, as well as other information. You can even search by these statistics. For example, Univ. of San Francisco gives 1.4% of their student body more than a full ride, and an additional 27% get more than half of tuition paid for with college Grants and Scholarships.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:15:58 PM »
You don't need at least a 170 to get a full ride anywhere.

If you got, say a 165, you'd probably have a great shot at full rides to the Tier 4 schools in Cali. You'd also probably have a good shot at some very good T2 and T3 scholarships. For example, Loyola in LA has a really good rep there. I think it's a T2, bordering on T1. If he gets, say a 164, with a 3.9 or higher, he would definitely get some sort of scholarship there. Even a school like Hastings -- with a 165/3.9, he'd probably get a good scholarship. Plus, England may have less grade inflation than the U.S. From what I hear, Canada does.

What do you say, OP -- what's the average GPA at the schools in England?

Here, it's about 3.0-3.2 for public schools (around a B-) and around a 3.1-3.3 or so for private schools, with the top private schools generally being around the 3.2-3.3 range I believe.

A number of schools do offer full scholarships, and yes they are very competitive.  Your GPA definitely would be in the range for these, and the fact that you are a foreign student might help with admissions boards that look for diverse perspectives.  Even with those considerations, you'd probably need at least a 170 to get a full ride anywhere.

The Law School Admission Council (LSAC) and American Bar Association (ABA) maintain an excellent directory of ALL ABA-Approved law schools.  This directory includes the number and percentage of students getting a full ride or more than full ride, as well as other information. You can even search by these statistics. For example, Univ. of San Francisco gives 1.4% of their student body more than a full ride, and an additional 27% get more than half of tuition paid for with college Grants and Scholarships.

Coog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 08:40:23 PM »
Check out Baylor, they give out a lot of full scholarships.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 09:18:33 AM »
It's all a sliding scale.  If you have a competitive LSAT and GPA for the top schools for just admission, you have a great shot at scholarships among the next level of schools, and at full scholarships one level below that (not tiers, I'm still thinking first tier).

With a 170 and a 3.8, you'll basically have your pick of full ride scholarships from schools ranked about 30 downward.  Cali might be more competitive (I didn't apply out there), but consider the whole West Coast.  Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, etc.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 12:57:36 PM »
right

It's all a sliding scale.  If you have a competitive LSAT and GPA for the top schools for just admission, you have a great shot at scholarships among the next level of schools, and at full scholarships one level below that (not tiers, I'm still thinking first tier).

With a 170 and a 3.8, you'll basically have your pick of full ride scholarships from schools ranked about 30 downward.  Cali might be more competitive (I didn't apply out there), but consider the whole West Coast.  Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, etc.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 07:51:32 PM »
This may or may not help but Pacific-McGeorge (in Scarmento), offers a lot of scholarships...probably more than most schools in CA.  They are also quite generous but even then you will not likely get more than 50% (15,500). So this could be one of your better bets if you could afford $15,500.

The finances are extremely difficult here for law school but the best option for you is really to nail that LSAT.  The postings above seem to have a great feel for the possibilities.