Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just received an acceptance offer  (Read 3840 times)

Army2Law

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Just received an acceptance offer
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:04:38 PM »
I have just received an acceptance offer from Hamline.  Is there anyone who can give me any insight into the school?

Specifically the environment and feel of the school?
The professors?
Grading?
etc.?

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just received an acceptance offer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:02:01 PM »
I'll try to answer your questions, with the caveat that as with any opinion, your mileage may vary.

The four law schools in the Twin Cities seem to have their own little niche.

the U of M tends to the theoretical, and analysis. very diverse seeming. smart kids. 

William Mitchell tends to focus on practical skills. nice campus in a great neighborhood. Prety cool students from the few I have met.

St. Thomas. Just received their provisional ABA accreditation. downtown MPLS law school. NICE facilities. Everything new. Everything shiny. Supposedly focued on a rational, and ethical, faith-based legal education. They seem very nice.

Then there is Hamline.

Good amount of foreign lawyers here for their LLMs.
Public Policy/Service orientation. tons of ADR events, speakers, activities, classes.
Supposedly well known in D.C. due to the NGO work many of the profs seem to be doing over the summer and winter breaks.   

Many excellent professors. The student body seems to be very happy with their choice. There is often a friendly vibe in the school.
Admissions seems to try and create a good fit. They seem to really look for people with well-rounded backgrounds.

Each of the 4 sections seems to have their own personality. Although this may also be the case in all law schools 1L classes.

Grading unfortunately seems pretty harsh. They are proud of the fact that they do not grade inflate. The students are mildly competitive but not cutthroat. One professor is legendary for not having given an A in like 10 years.

Female students in the law school and the undergrad outnumber the males. about 70-30 undergrad, and 60-40 law school.

The undergrad is known apparently for being very very liberal. Which may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste.

The law school tends toward the liberal, but there are many conservatives, and a few Gulf/Afghanistan vets that have returned to school and have gotten some positive attention. Mostly people saying thank you, etc.

Our wireless network still has some bugs to be worked out. 
The gym is tiny, but it is a D3 no athletic scholarship school.

The law school endowment has been increased by the new University president, and consequently there has been more scholarship money available.

Hope this helps. I go there and it is hard to be objective. So take my positivity at the school with a grain of salt.

Good luck.

Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe