Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone from Valpo agree with this?  (Read 47655 times)

Army2Law

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Anyone from Valpo agree with this?
« on: November 24, 2005, 05:23:20 PM »
This advice was left on two of the Valparaiso acceptance posts at Law School Numbers:

Think Twice
I'm on a full ride...if you don't want to work in NW Indiana, it sucks.  Attrition rate is high (19.7%), grades are low(hard to keep the scholarship) and the career center is poo!  If you just want a J.D. on the cheap it's ok.  Nice staff and faculty, just better have your own resources for work.
                  -- valpo, 1L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=army2law

Think Twice
Congrats on Valpo...it's nice to be wanted.  However DON'T believe their excuses for the T4 ranking (Tier 4 of U.S. News and World Reports -- lowest ranking available)/1L attrition rates/career prospects (86.2% of graduates employed 9 months after graduation).  You better love NW Indiana (its not terrible) and plan to work here.  No one else has even heard of this place!
                -- valpo, 1L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=nckzvnbr

I added the bold red statements, as they were not part of the origional posting.

Army2Law

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Anyone from Valpo agree with this?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:14:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am still keeping my options open, as you can see I still have several schools yet to hear from.
If you think of anything else, please let me know.

PM me if you want more info... didn't mean to spook ya, just trying to tell you what admissions won't.

- only six major firms participate in OCI

-less than 5% get jobs as a result of OCI

-nearly 20% of 1Ls transfer or drop out

-median gpa for 1Ls 2.8

-you will get a job, but you should see how many shingles are hung out by Valpo grads downtown

-law school is adopting "grade normalizing" this year

-clinic positions 3rd year are...drawn from a hat!  (if you want to work in the juvenile clinic, take a knee like a scene out of "Harry Potter" and see what comes out of the hat).

JDSoulja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone from Valpo agree with this?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 11:38:09 AM »
Time marches on, but still these comments hold true.  The school is on a campaign to destroy its own reputation.  When you set the median GPA at about 2.7, what else could happen?  This is a fine school if you just want the paper and need to become a lawyer at all costs.  You need to be in the top 5 (not 5 percent) of this school to get the kind of opportunities that law students generally go to law school for.  If you're not a top 5'er, just come with your lawyerly connections already in place and you'll do fine (think in-laws, parents, etc.).  Otherwise, go with the rankings and suck up the cost.  Opportunities come best to those from the higher ranked schools, period.