Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: INSTITUTIONAL DENIAL ABOUT THE DARK SIDE OF LAW SCHOOL  (Read 109576 times)

avalon

• View Profile
Re: INSTITUTIONAL DENIAL ABOUT THE DARK SIDE OF LAW SCHOOL
« Reply #360 on: November 22, 2008, 04:30:15 PM »
What exactly do you mean, teafairn? Can you be a bit more specific?

connotation

• View Profile
Perforated Ulcer
« Reply #361 on: November 24, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »

Don't get me started with doctors and their stupid perscriptions! My aunt (my mother's sister) was perscribed monstrous amounts of aspirin for quite a few years. She was taken to the ER one night and underwent surgery for perforated ulcer.

Did her ulcer perforate because of the aspirin taken or was it due to some other reason? Cuz nowadays it has been determined that many of the perforated ulcers are due to the bacterium Helicobacter pylori.
Time is an illusion.

m e t a n o i a

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 24, 2008, 10:11:07 PM »

A way in which we may approach the study of narcissism is by observing the erotic life of human beings, with its many kinds of differentiation in man and woman. Just as object-libido at first concealed ego-libido from our observation, so too in connection with the object-choice of infants (and of growing children) what we first noticed was that they derived their sexual objects from their experiences of satisfaction. The first autoerotic sexual satisfactions are experienced in connection with the vital functions which serve the purpose of self-preservation. The sexual instincts are at the outset attached to the satisfaction of the ego-instincts; only later do they become independent of these, and even then we have an indication of that original attachment in the fact that the persons who are concerned with a child's feeding, care and protection become his earliest sexual objects: that is to say, in the first place his mother or a substitute for her. Side by side, however, with this type and source of object-choice, which may be called the 'anaclitic' or 'attachment' type, psychoanalytical research has revealed a second type. We have discovered, especially clearly in people whose libidinal development has suffered some disturbance, such as perverts and homosexuals, that in their later choice of love-objects they have taken as a model not their mother but their own selves. They are plainly seeking themselves as a love-object, and exhibiting a type of object-choice which must be termed 'narcissistic'. In this observation we have the strongest of the reasons which have led us to adapt the hypothesis of narcissism.

We have, however, not concluded that human beings are divided into two sharply differentiated groups, according as their object-choice conforms to the anaclitic or to the narcissistic type; we assume rather that both kinds of object-choice are open to each individual, though he may show a preference for one or the other. We say that a human being has originally two sexual objects -- himself and the woman who nurses him -- and in doing so we are postulating a primary narcissism in everyone, which may in some cases manifest itself in a dominating fashion in his object-choice.

A person may love: --

(1) According to the narcissistic type:
     (a) what he himself is (i.e. himself),
     (b) what he himself was,
     (c) what he himself would like to be,
     (d) someone who was once part of himself,

(2) According to the anaclitic (attachment) type:
     (a) the woman who feeds him
     (b) the man who protects him

and the succession of substitutes who take their place.

das Geviert, I would tend to believe that those who choose their object according to the first type: they develop a certain self-contentment which compensates them for the social restrictions that are imposed upon them in their choice of object. Strictly speaking, it's only themselves that they love with an intensity comparable to that of another's for them. Nor does their need lie in the direction of loving, but of being loved; and the one who fulfils this condition is the one who finds favor with them. The importance of this type of person for the erotic life of mankind is to be rated very high. These persons have the great fascination for people, not only for aesthetic reasons, since as a rule they are the most beautiful, but also because of a combination of interesting psychological factors. For it seems very evident that another person's narcissism has a great attraction for those who have renounced part of their own narcissism and are in search of object-love. The charm of a child lies to a great extent in his narcissism, his self-contentment and inaccessibility, just as does the charm of certain animals which seem not to concern themselves about us, such as cats and the large beasts of prey. Indeed, even great criminals and humorists, as they are represented in literature, compel out interest by the narcissistic consistency with which they manage to keep away from their ego anything that would diminish it. It is as if we envied them for maintaining a blissful state of mind -- an unassailable libidinal position which we ourselves have since abandoned.
The Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to Alaska. Now Santa Claus is missing.

koan

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 25, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »

das Geviert, I would tend to believe that those who choose their object according to the first type: they develop a certain self-contentment which compensates them for the social restrictions that are imposed upon them in their choice of object. Strictly speaking, it's only themselves that they love with an intensity comparable to that of another's for them. Nor does their need lie in the direction of loving, but of being loved; and the one who fulfils this condition is the one who finds favor with them. The importance of this type of person for the erotic life of mankind is to be rated very high. These persons have the great fascination for people, not only for aesthetic reasons, since as a rule they are the most beautiful, but also because of a combination of interesting psychological factors. For it seems very evident that another person's narcissism has a great attraction for those who have renounced part of their own narcissism and are in search of object-love. The charm of a child lies to a great extent in his narcissism, his self-contentment and inaccessibility, just as does the charm of certain animals which seem not to concern themselves about us, such as cats and the large beasts of prey. Indeed, even great criminals and humorists, as they are represented in literature, compel out interest by the narcissistic consistency with which they manage to keep away from their ego anything that would diminish it. It is as if we envied them for maintaining a blissful state of mind -- an unassailable libidinal position which we ourselves have since abandoned.

metanoia - "charm of a child" ... "animals that seem not to concern themselves with us ... cats and the large beasts of prey" ... "criminals and humorists"? What the deal is here? Don't get me wrong, I'm not antagonizing you or anything - how could I, after all, you've chosen a great username (at least as great as mine!) - but what exactly are trying to say? Are they going about places being like, "Hey, the entire Manhattan wants to be with me!" thus wanting to abort the entire world?

Tic-Tac-Toe

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 25, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »

metanoia - "charm of a child" ... "animals that seem not to concern themselves with us ... cats and the large beasts of prey" ... "criminals and humorists"? What the deal is here? Don't get me wrong, I'm not antagonizing you or anything - how could I, after all, you've chosen a great username (at least as great as mine!) - but what exactly are trying to say? Are they going about places being like, "Hey, the entire Manhattan wants to be with me!" thus wanting to abort the entire world?

koan - here, listen to Tania Bulanova's Padam:

Cet air qui m'obsède jour et nuit
Cet air n'est pas né d'aujourd'hui
Il vient d'aussi loin que je viens
Traîné par cent mille musiciens
Un jour cet air me rendra folle
Cent fois j'ai voulu dire "pourquoi?"
Mais il m'a coupé la parole
Il parle toujours avant moi
Et sa voix couvre ma voix...

Padam, padam, padam,
Il arrive en courant derrière moi
Padam, padam, padam,
Il me fait le coup du souviens-toi
Padam, padam, padam,
C'est un air qui me montre du doigt
Et je traîne après moi comme un drôle d'erreur
Cet air qui sait tout par coeur
Il dit: "Rappelle-toi tes amours
Rappelle-toi puisque c'est ton tour
'Y a pas d'raison pour qu'tu n'pleures pas
Avec tes souvenirs sur les bras"
Et moi je revois ceux qui restent
Mes vingt ans font battre tambour
Je vois s'entrebattre des gestes
Toute la comédie des amours
Sur cet air qui va toujours...

Padam, padam, padam,
Des "je t'aime" de quatorze-juillet
Padam, padam, padam,
Des "toujours" qu'on achète au rabais
Padam, padam, padam,
Des "veux-tu" en voilà par paquets
Et tout ça pour tomber juste au coin d'la rue
Sur l'air qui m'a reconnue...

Écoutez le chahut qu'il me fait...
Comme si tout mon passé défilait...
Faut garder du chagrin pour après
J'en ai tout un solfège sur cet air qui bat
Qui bat comme un coeur de bois

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_x5rAEVL4&feature=related
I went down the street to the 24-hour grocery. When I got there, the guy was locking the front door. I said, "Hey, the sign says you're open 24 hours." He said, "Yes, but not in a row."

daires

• View Profile
Epidurals - Dura Mater Tearing
« Reply #365 on: November 26, 2008, 04:42:55 PM »

My cousin gave birth to her child by means of a caesarean section -- the baby was in a podalic presentation/sitting (3-4% of all deliveries with one baby). And with the internal podalic version a lost art today, her only option was the caesarean.

There is a great risk of uterine rupture associated with internal podalic version -- that is the reason why it's not attempted at all. There is a strong mechanical force in taking the fetus and basically forcing it to do a summersault within the uterine cavity. These are not little things that you just kind of push gently, and it just turns. It doesn't work that way. You are using a great deal of force in turning it upside-down that does trauma to the uterine cavity and could disrupt the placenta and cause bleeding. And rarely things like amniotic fluid embolus. Those are not common things that could happen, but rarely they could. And, in fact, in Williams’ textbook of obstetrics, which is one of the most premiere, respected obstetrical textbooks for teaching medical students, it specifically says that there are very few, if any, indications to do internal podalic version other than the second twin. And in various editions he actually says it is potentially harmful. He says that it is the most common cause of traumatic uterine rupture. And if you do separate the placenta, all the blood supply to the uterus goes to the surface of the placenta and stops there. If the placenta starts to separate, you, in fact, have an abruption of a placenta, and there would be internal hemorrhage.

I got epidural (to relieve pain during labor/delivery) and the doctors were negligent, with the procedure having complications in my case. To initiate epidural anesthesia a local anesthetic, an opioid (or a combination of both) is delivered into the epidural space via a special needle. The medication diffuses through the dura mater, the arachnoid, and the pia mater to the spine. Bathing the spinal cord and nerve roots, the local anesthetic and opioid block pain impulses before they reach the brain.

Because the epidural needle and catheter are large, a sudden tear of the dura mater during epidural insertion can result in CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leaking into the epidural space. You got a "wet tap" if you have sudden severe headaches when upright. I took the hospital to court for not being careful when tearing the dura mater and the hospital was dishonest enough to falsify all documentation to evade liability.
Remember your lovers
Remember when it's your turn to suffer
There's no reason for you not to cry
With all the memories you carry on by

borsellino

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 01, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »

koan - here, listen to Tania Bulanova's Padam:

Cet air qui m'obsède jour et nuit
Cet air n'est pas né d'aujourd'hui
Il vient d'aussi loin que je viens
Traîné par cent mille musiciens
Un jour cet air me rendra folle
Cent fois j'ai voulu dire "pourquoi?"
Mais il m'a coupé la parole
Il parle toujours avant moi
Et sa voix couvre ma voix...

Padam, padam, padam,
Il arrive en courant derrière moi
Padam, padam, padam,
Il me fait le coup du souviens-toi
Padam, padam, padam,
C'est un air qui me montre du doigt
Et je traîne après moi comme un drôle d'erreur
Cet air qui sait tout par coeur
Il dit: "Rappelle-toi tes amours
Rappelle-toi puisque c'est ton tour
'Y a pas d'raison pour qu'tu n'pleures pas
Avec tes souvenirs sur les bras"
Et moi je revois ceux qui restent
Mes vingt ans font battre tambour
Je vois s'entrebattre des gestes
Toute la comédie des amours
Sur cet air qui va toujours...

Padam, padam, padam,
Des "je t'aime" de quatorze-juillet
Padam, padam, padam,
Des "toujours" qu'on achète au rabais
Padam, padam, padam,
Des "veux-tu" en voilà par paquets
Et tout ça pour tomber juste au coin d'la rue
Sur l'air qui m'a reconnue...

Écoutez le chahut qu'il me fait...
Comme si tout mon passé défilait...
Faut garder du chagrin pour après
J'en ai tout un solfège sur cet air qui bat
Qui bat comme un coeur de bois

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_x5rAEVL4&feature=related

HAHAHA! I know what ya mean, Tic! ;)

after virtue

• View Profile
Re: The Rorschach
« Reply #367 on: December 01, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »

[...]

[...] Perhaps the Rorschach test can, as claimed, provide an "X-ray of the mind." But, asks Lilienfeld, whose mind: that of the client or the examiner?

TITCR!

You hit the nail on the @ # ! * i n g head, charisma!

;)

Four,Christmases

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 01, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »

Combine these two things: an irrational world and a person who's looking out at it and trying to make it rational. You've experienced that kind of feeling at least once -- you're sitting at your desk and looking at the circus around you, thinking, "I'm the only sane one here." This is how human beings as a group look out onto the world. But humans don't just think that they're the sane ones; they also try to impose that sanity and order on the circus around them. The world laughs at them when they do this -- and this absurdity.

;)

Birkena

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 05, 2008, 09:59:56 PM »

[...] Popular culture serves up rebellion to the masses in such a way that when and if they finally act out against the state that makes them miserable their very act of rebellion finally supports that state [...]

Could you expand a bit?

Exactly, cAMP, the way they acted towards him shows they did not have the balls to resist the "oppressor" - while at first sight it seemed they're resisting to him, in actuality what they did just made it easier for the "oppressor" to get hold of him. Let's hope he does smth now.

I tend to believe the OP is saying that the oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors, or "sub-oppressors." The very structure of their thought has been conditioned by the contradictions of the concrete, existential situation by which they were shaped. Their ideal is to be men; but for them, to be men is to be oppressors. This is their model of humanity. This phenomenon derives from the fact that the oppressed, at a certain moment of their existential experience, adopt an attitude of "adhesion" to the oppressor. Under these circumstances they cannot "consider" him sufficiently clearly to objectivize him -- to discover him "outside" themselves. This does not necessarily mean that the oppressed are unaware that they are downtrodden. But their perception of themselves as oppressed is impaired by their submersion in the reality of oppression. At this level, their perception of themselves as opposites of the oppressor does not yet signify engagement un a struggle to overcome the contradiction; the one pole aspires not to liberation, but to identification with its opposite pole.

Why don't you better say they consider themselves to be a piece of * & ^ % not worth anything?
The less you read books, the less you go to the theatre, the less you think, love, theorize, sign, paint, the more you save.
The less you are, the more you have.
The less you express yourself, the more alienated you become.