Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Adderall-Law school finals/studying  (Read 63131 times)

beret

• View Profile
Eternal Recurrence
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »

Interesting username, butterfly! It reminded me right away the technical notion of sensitive dependence on initial conditions in Chaos Theory I read. Small variations of the initial condition of a non-linear dynamical system that may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system. So this is sometimes presented as esoteric behavior, but can be exhibited by very simple systems: for example, a ball placed at the crest of a hill might roll into any of several valleys depending on slight differences in initial position. The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that ultimately cause a tornado to appear (or prevent a tornado from appearing). The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale phenomena. Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different.

The idea that one butterfly could have a far-reaching ripple effect on subsequent events seems first to have appeared in a 1952 short story by Ray Bradbury about time travel, although Lorenz made popular the term. In 1961, Lorenz was using a numerical computer model to rerun a weather prediction, when, as a shortcut on a number in the sequence, he entered the decimal .506 instead of entering the full .506127 the computer would hold. The result was a completely different weather scenario. Lorenz published his findings in a 1963 paper for the New York Academy of Sciences noting that "One meteorologist remarked that if the theory were correct, one flap of a seagull's wings could change the course of weather forever." Later speeches and papers by Lorenz used the more poetic butterfly. According to Lorenz, upon failing to provide a title for a talk he was to present at the 139th meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1972, Philip Merilees concocted Does the flap of a butterfly's wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas as a title.

These figures show two segments of the three-dimensional evolution of two trajectories (one in blue, the other in yellow) for the same period of time in the Lorenz attractor starting at two initial points that differ only by 10-5 in the x-coordinate. Initially, the two trajectories seem coincident, as indicated by the small difference between the z coordinate of the blue and yellow trajectories, but for t > 23 the difference is as large as the value of the trajectory. The final position of the cones indicates that the two trajectories are no longer coincident at t=30. Recurrence, the approximate return of a system towards its initial conditions, together with sensitive dependence on initial conditions are the two main ingredients for chaotic motion. They have the practical consequence of making complex systems, such as the weather, difficult to predict past a certain time range (approximately a week in the case of weather).

Do I have a Choice, a Chance, to Make Each Return a Little Different? A Little Better?

No choice, no chance, no different, no better . . . (and no worse).

Each time you return it's exactly the same you. If there were the slightest infinitesimal difference, the butterfly effect would not only radically change your entire life and the future course of human history but radically change the whole future of the universe such that at the incredibly large number of years after which you are supposed to return, you wouldn't be there since the universe would be radically different.

That's how well connected you are to the universe.

mlgr

• View Profile
Re: Adderall-Law school finals/studying
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2008, 02:04:59 PM »
Where did you get your adderall?  Did you get your doctor to prescribe, get in online or go to Mexico?  I was just in TJ and I forgot to check the prices.

Rob
http://www.cafepress.com/lawthug

rob, have you tried this site, do they deliver?

http://www.herbalsmokeshops.com

Check these boards out - you'll learn there that there's no way you can get Adderall without a prescription.

http://www.drugbuyers.com/freeboard/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

DirkDiggler

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2008, 09:01:10 PM »
A former-gf had a Ritalin RX for diagnosed ADD. The diagnosis also allowed her, per (undergrad) university policy, 50% more exam time and private-room testing.

Has anyone heard of any accommodations in LS?

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »
I've heard of getting concessions for the LSAT, I don't know about law school exams.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could get more time if you'd registered with the school's SDS, but I wouldn't really be surprised if you couldn't either.

I've been diagnosed since 1st grade (hence being on LSD when I have my Ks exam in three hours) and I've always thought the whole time concessions thing was a bit ridiculous, especially for those who are already medicated.  Time is such an integral part of what makes both the LSAT and law school tests so tricky, it doesn't seem to me that ADD justifies the advantage that comes with having more time.
B < PL

ram0036

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2008, 09:46:35 AM »
I have heard of accomodations because of ADHD/ADD for law school exams. They would get additional time, like an hour extra I think and they would also get to take their exam alone.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
I've heard of getting concessions for the LSAT, I don't know about law school exams.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could get more time if you'd registered with the school's SDS, but I wouldn't really be surprised if you couldn't either.

I've been diagnosed since 1st grade (hence being on LSD when I have my Ks exam in three hours) and I've always thought the whole time concessions thing was a bit ridiculous, especially for those who are already medicated.  Time is such an integral part of what makes both the LSAT and law school tests so tricky, it doesn't seem to me that ADD justifies the advantage that comes with having more time.

Fellow ADHDer here, although I wasn't diagnosed until age 23 (it was a life changing revelation). I know accommodations are available, but I can't imagine why any person with ADHD would want more time. A private room makes a lot of sense, but the knowledge that I've got more time would only encourage distraction for me. A benefit of ADHD is the ability to hyper-focus in certain situations, and time pressure works great for a lot of folks with ADHD (hence all the procrastination).

And yeah, if you're properly medicated, you shouldn't need accommodations anyway.
CLS 2011

kel

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »

Check these boards out - you'll learn there that there's no way you can get Adderall without a prescription.

http://www.drugbuyers.com/freeboard/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

I'd strongly object to allowing posting of online boards URL addresses where people can get dangerous stuff - even if that's not exactly Adderol.

Routing No.

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »

I'd strongly object to allowing posting of online boards URL addresses where people can get dangerous stuff - even if that's not exactly Adderol.

It's Adderall, not Adderol, kel!

mcgeorge2011

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
I would advise against taking adderall to help with studying unless you have a px. I actually do, and the drug has some different effects then some think. For myself, if I actually take more than normal I either feel so 'good' I dont want to study. Also, like most drugs, if I take it 3 days in a row on that third day I am extremely irratative. Any thing like a car driving only slightly faster than the speed limit would make me pissed. Oh, and the last thing, and this is pretty easily checked by playing tetris. When on the amphetitmines you feel like you score higher than you usually do (thus playing tetris, if you cover up the score on the screen, and guess what your points are at the end of the game when you are not on the pills you will be more accurate, when you are on them you will actually think you did better (but in actuality) you usually score a little less than normal. Again, these things all very from person to person, and some will benefit from the pills. Even having an Px, I need to very my dosages day to day. And never take it for the first time the day before having an exam, you wont like the results.

Hope this helps some people, I dont want to sound like a hipocrait since I take it myself, and if you really think you need it, might as well just see a psychiatrist, they are usually pretty quick to put you on a low dosage (legally) and see how your body reacts rather than starting on your own guessing how much to take (and how it interacts synergetically with other meds (even over the counter stuff) in ways you wouldnt think).

Wish everyone good luck on Law School. You all made it here, so the odds are if you are working hard enough to be even looking at these pages you can pass (even if not at the head of your class... but if you are taking drugs for that reason alone you really should see the school shrink, there is a big difference taking stuff like this to pass versus being better than anyone else). And yes my spelling is herendous, I was a neuroscience major undergrad and they dont teach us how to spell ;)

amanda.tyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2009, 07:07:43 AM »
Actually I do not see any bad in taking pills that help you coping you with various situations just like exams that last about three to four hours. Things like that are really stressful and it is quite unhealthy to be stressed in such a high level amount. Of course I am definitely not talking about drug abuse or using    hallucinogenic drugs, but I think to cope with stress it is absolutely okay to use pills for stress. I had a very heavy exam and I was so nervous and stressed out that I couldn't even concentrate for a single second. It really freaked me out. I called my mother and she came over two hours before the exam started and brought me some pills she uses for stress, called flexeril, and they really helped me out. I was quite skeptical in the beginning, but as I found an enlightening feeling inside my brain and my body I was able to concentrate on the most important matter of the day. My exam. So I guess situations like that are absolutely adequate for using pills for stress.