Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Adderall-Law school finals/studying  (Read 63119 times)

hitbox

• View Profile
Re: Endorphins: Free Smack!
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2006, 08:28:46 PM »

Che Guevara was literally an adrenaline junkie, for instance: danger released the hormone that allowed him to breathe freely.

They say Che Guevara used extensively an adrenaline inhaler to deal with shortness of breath attacks due to his asthma. Something similar to this

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: THE GREAT A.D.D. HOAX
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2006, 10:22:28 PM »

THE TEN "CAUSAL SYMPTOMS" OF "A.D.D." LISTED IN THE DSM IV:

RARELY DO children AFFLICTED "WITH A.D.D."
  1) OBEY SCHOOLWORK DIRECTIVES
  2) SUSTAIN ATTENTION TO SCHOOLWORK
  3) BOTHER WITH SCHOOLWORK DETAILS
  4) TRY TO AVOID DISTRACTIONS FROM SCHOOLWORK
  5) TRY TO AVOID MISTAKES IN DOING SCHOOLWORK
  6) LISTEN TO THE TEACHER'S DIRECTIVES
  7) REMEMBER SCHOOL ROUTINES
  8  PREPARE FOR SCHOOLWORK
  9) ORGANIZE SCHOOLWORK TASKS
 10) LIKE TO DO SCHOOLWORK

damn, sounds like every kid's dream task list.  when you were a kid, did you do most of the stuff on that list?  or did you try to avoid it at every turn?  hell yes you did...that's part of being a kid.  that stuff is BORING...even now.

i only did it b/c my parents would kick my ass if i didn't.  that's some brilliant analysis.

mynor142

• View Profile
Re: Adderall-Law school finals/studying
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2006, 09:36:47 PM »
Just a couple points that ought to be made here -

First, you are self-medicating which is never a good course of action because, among other things, you really don't know how much, if any, adderall you should take to counteract the negative tendencies you have (e.g. inability to stay focused) without impairing your strongest attributes.  To say that a doctor would probably diagnose you based on the list of "symptoms" posted by dmitrik4 is meaningless.  Adderall is one of the most highly regulated prescription drugs on the market because it is so casually abused by people with the exact same mind set as the one you profess.  If you need it, a doctor will give it to you.  To rationalize your failure to go an get a diagnosis and obtain a prescription by saying that you don't want to be bound to taking it borders on idiocy for several reasons - first, a prescription does not mandate use, far from it. In reality, it gives you the power to choose when you take it.  Second, taking adderall without a prescription is illegal, and possession of a controlled substance without a prescription is illegal.  Being that you hope to pass the moral fitness review to be able to sit for a bar exam, it would in your best interest to cross the t's and dot the i's on this issue, cause one stroke of bad luck could put you in a very bad position.  Third, as i stated above, you don't know what is a good amount for you and what is a bad amount for you, assuming that you do in fact need it.  A doctor can shed some light on this for you and find the ideal dosage for you, and contrary to what you might think, if you express to your doctor that your intention is to take it primarily when you have finals or serious work to get done, not only will that not preclude your obtaining a prescription, but they can probably give you some really good insight on how to get the most out of it.

Secondly, there seems to be a large contingent of people on here with the "holier than thou" mindset, who think that taking adderall borders on blowing a line of coke.  To those people i would simply say that you should be thankful for your abilities, and thankful that its not something you need.  I would also point out that some people do need it, that while over diagnosed, ADD is a real condition, not just a cop out.  I would recommend reading up on it and educating yourself a bit more before throwing out sweeping generalizations.  To claim that adderall is the same as coke is like claiming that taking advil for a headache is as bad as smoking opium, they aren't anywhere close to each other, save only that they are both stimulants.

Third - all this talk of habit forming and tolerance - speaking from the standpoint of someone who has taken adderall consistently for close to a decade I can attest to it being habit forming to the extent that when you stop taking it suddenly you will feel very lethargic and tired for several days, but it is not addictive in the sense that you go through painful withdrawals and cravings or anything of that nature.  On the other hand, I can also attest to the fact that if you take it AS PRESCRIBED you do not build up a tolerance to it.  I have taken it for ten years, and i take the same dosage now as i did ten years ago, and it is just as effective.

In summary, while i understand trying to give yourself an edge, there are other, safer means of doing so than self-medicating with black-market pharmaceuticals.  You obviously will do what you want, but personally, i would really recommend going about it the right way rather than the wrong way.

scaling

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Endorphins: Free Smack!
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2006, 01:41:56 AM »

They say Che Guevara used extensively an adrenaline inhaler to deal with shortness of breath attacks due to his asthma. Something similar to this

Primatene Mist will be banned.

Jan 24, 2006

WASHINGTON - Asthma sufferers may not be able to buy nonprescription inhalers much longer because the devices contain propellants that harm the ozone layer.

An advisory panel voted 11-7 Tuesday to recommend that the Food and Drug Administration remove the "essential use" status that Primatene Mist and other similar non-prescription inhalers require to be sold, spokeswoman Laura Alvey said. Final revocation of that status would mean a de facto ban on their sale.

The FDA usually follows the advice of its outside panels of experts, though a decision can take months. If the agency opts to follow the recommendation, it would begin a rulemaking process that would include public comment, Alvey said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11008530/

pheromon

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2006, 02:55:26 AM »

Cocaine and amphetamines concentrate in the central link of the reward circuit (the ventral tegmental area and the nucleus accumbens). These areas contain especially high concentrations of dopaminergic synapses, which are the preferred target of these drugs.

Here it is the limbic reward circuit:

The major neuromodulators used by the diffuse projection neurons of the brainstem are norepinephrine, serotonine, acetylcholine and dopamine.

The locus coeruleus contains most of the neurons that produce norepinephrine in the brain. They send projections to just about every part of the CNS. Located in the dorsal portion of the pons, these cells are strongly activated by new sensori stimuli. They play a role in regulating vigilance and attentiveness and are inactive during sleep. Overactivity of this system can cause anxiety, while underactivity can lead to depression.

The neurons of the raphe nuclei release serotonin as a neurotransmitter. These neurons are grouped into about 9 pairs, distributed along the entire length of the brainstem. They project very widely throughout the CNS. The more rostral nuclei innervate the cortex and the thalamus, while the more caudal nuclei innervate the cerebellum and the spinal cord. These latter nuclei appear to work in conjunction with the norepinergic neurons: they are active during waking periods, and quiet during sleep. In addition to being involved in the sleep/wake cycle, they also appear to affect mood.

Diffuse projection neurons that use acetylcholine as a neurotransmitter are found in the ventral region of the telenchephalon and the rostral portion of the pons. Nearly three-quarters of all acetylcholine in the cortex comes from the basal nucleus of Meynert, while the pedunculopontine nucleus and the lateral tegmental pontine nucleus project to the thalamus. The lymbic system also receives acetylcholine from the medial septal nucleus which is believed to contribute to vigilance and neuronal plasticity, thus playing an important role in learning and memory. The memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease is probably linked to the deterioration of this cholinergic system.

The two groups of neurons that diffuse dopamine are located in the lower portion of the midbrain. The substantia nigra projects to the striatal structures (caudate nuclei and putamen). The degeneration of this nigrostriatal pathway that accompanies Parkinson's disease produces the trembling and the difficulty in initiating movement that characterizes this illness. Other dopamine-producing cells project from the ventral tegmental area to the frontal cortex and to most of the structures in the limbic system. This system appears to be reinforcing certain behaviors by associating them with pleasurable sensations. It also seems to be associated with the mechanisms involved in substance dependencies and in schizophrenia.

If a sensory stimulus does not provide us with any reward or any punishment, we quickly ignore and forget it. That's called habituation. It's what makes us stop being aware of the feeling of clothes against our skin, or the ticking of the clock on the office wall.

frisky

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2006, 04:22:49 AM »
It looks like we're going to dissect every piece of the @ # ! * i n g brain ...
Always wear underwear.

egolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2006, 10:29:28 PM »
LOL frisky, I know what ya mean ;)

eatdrinkbemerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2006, 08:13:48 AM »
i need to stop taking all these stimulants and chain smoking,it can't be healthy.

theworldinahand

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2006, 12:34:48 AM »
well, eatdrink, you'll either eat and drink, or be marry, you can't have it both ways .. :)

chibud2

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2006, 12:33:33 AM »
Has anyone been on ecstasy when studying/taking exams? I know E is the last drug to use in such occasions, but some people say it's just as effective as speed, for example ..