Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Adderall-Law school finals/studying  (Read 63105 times)

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Adderall-Law school finals/studying
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 12:52:44 PM »
Chemically altering one's brain chemistry in order to get away from work has long been regarded as a socially-acceptable vice, if done in moderation. If any of you think for one second that altering brain chemistry in order to actually work is a sustainable, acceptable, or healthy practice, you are in for an emotional and professional mess. You'll probably get by, but your own personal demons will torture you until you learn to live with your real self. That could be decades from now.

r e g g i e

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 12:44:31 PM »
I can agree with that assessment .. They say crack-cocaine delivers an intensity of pleasure beyond the bounds of normal human experience. Unfortunately, it delivers suffering beyond the bounds of normal human experience too. The pleasure it yields is brief. The suffering that follows may be prolonged. The brain's hedonic treadmill isn't easily cheated.

The high from crack cocaine is intensely rewarding. But the experience is short-lived. Crack's euphoric effect is so extraordinarily hard to forget. If one succumbs to curiosity, and finds out what one is missing, then the rest of one's life may pall in comparison. For there is nothing in life that's naturally so enjoyable as crack. However, the user's family and loved ones may suffer the price of pleasure almost as severely as the addict.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
Dude, who gives a *&^%.  If the pills help you, take them.  I know a ton of people who do coke and study, so I am hardly going to condemn anyone for doing AD.  And before anyone jumps my *&^% for supporting this, I study high on life + coffee.

Damn, what school are you attending? I believe you, I just never experienced this at my school. If anything, people I knew were taking nyquil or xanax to get to bed, not to stay awake. I took addies for a semester in college and I went from a 3.2 to a 3.6 my final college semester when I stopped using addies despite having a more difficult courseload. Guess I'm the minority.

I was pretty liberal during my party days in college, so if you want to use addies to get by in law school, go for it. However, with a good diet, exercise, vitamins, and some coffee you can get by without getting hooked to substances other than caffeine. Somewhere down the line, you're going to have to stop using these pills to succeed. I don't think too many firms want cracked out, sweaty, nervous associates who grind their teeth all day long.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »
I don't know anybody who did well at my school and did AD. That could mean that there are people who did well, took the pills and I don't know about it. If you really think you have ADHD then you should get it diagnosed. A doctor can prescribe the correct amount of medication so that you're not haphazardly popping pills when you think you need it, and their effects will be managed.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 06:55:10 PM »
Unlike speed or cocaine, however, you can still function normally.

Adderall is "speed." Hope that helps.

P.S. When I used used to take Adderall and Ritalin per prescription, it completely killed my sex drive, which sucked.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 11:46:32 PM »
I like the analogy that you won't be going to the local college to buy adderal once you are an attorney, and use of any stimulants will be frowned upon, so why start now.

Many people manage to do just fine without using illegal drugs.

If it gives you the effects people describe, then you don't need  prescription, thats the whole point

callingthedevil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 09:09:33 PM »

P.S. When I used used to take Adderall and Ritalin per prescription, it completely killed my sex drive, which sucked.

This can't be anything else but sarcasm! I mean, they say you have a hell of a libido when on amphetamines!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 11:46:17 PM »
This can't be anything else but sarcasm! I mean, they say you have a hell of a libido when on amphetamines!

"6 Female Libido Killers... Amphetamines (speed, crystal meth). Amphetamines are known to cause sexual dysfunction in both men and women. While speeding, sex is likely to be far from her (and your) mind, but talking a lot will not be."

http://www.askmen.com/love/vanessa_100/129d_love_secrets.html

"Adderall (mixed amphetamines) is used to treat a sleeping disorder called narcolepsy as well as attention-deficit disorder (ADD). Initially, amphetamine may increase sex drive, but over time, interest in sex may diminish. Impotence is also a potential side effect. Animal studies suggest that amphetamine can suppress testosterone production and may account for these complications."

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-pharmacy11jul11,1,2213523.column?coll=la-headlines-health

"Possible Side Effects of AdderallŽ
Side effects include... impotence or changes in sex drive."

http://www.nyu.edu/nyuhc/studydrugs/

"Side Effects: ... Changes in sex drive or inability to maintain an erection"

http://www.mcmaster.ca/health/hwc/Newsletters/mar04/quick_fix_ritalin.htm

"Adverse Reactions... Impotence and changes in libido."

http://www.whatmeds.com/meds/adderall.html

betty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 01:18:05 AM »
If you use them occassionally you'll see your sexual appetite increases considerably. However if you take them every day you'll end up with a weenie.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 09:11:40 AM »
If you use them occassionally you'll see your sexual appetite increases considerably. However if you take them every day you'll end up with a weenie.

I think the effects depend on the person. But I think, at least in general, what you have said is true.