Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.  (Read 5292 times)

wc06

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 09:06:55 AM »

Ashe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 10:49:18 PM »

I come here every once in awhile to remind myself what an insane time LS was for me. I mean seriously, everyone on this board is f-king nuts. I get it.

;)
GPA Umass Amherst- 3.15 Double Major: History/Political Science
LSAT: 161/164 (Avg: 163)
Applying: Suffolk, Boston University, Boston College, NESL, and Northeastern.

wa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2006, 08:52:55 PM »
Some people point out that there's a difference between being in law school and being a lawyer. I think that's fair. At minimum, it shows that lawyers do different stuff -- teach, practice, write, and judge -- and that law school doesn't necessarily prepare people all that completely for being a lawyer, if they go into practice.

If I was contemplating dropping out of law school (which I'm not), I suppose what would talk me out of it would be seeing that light at the end of the tunnel (not that one): someone who's doing something I wish I could end up doing, who happens to have a law degree. But, if I really wanted to drop out, I suppose I'd look for someone who's doing something I wish I could end up doing, who doesn't have a law degree. Or, even better, who dropped out of law school.

Actually, that's made me curious. A quick Google search finds me nothing comprehensive, but these interesting results:

Al Gore dropped out of law school.

Paul Simon dropped out of law school.

The writer/director of "Two Weeks Notice" and "Miss Congeniality" dropped out of law school.

"Adam dropped out of law school to follow his heart. He landed at the Teva Learning Center, a program in Western Connecticut that teaches the integration of Judaism, Ecology and Environmental Activism."

and, finally:

"Anne dropped out of law school, renounced all of her material goods and went to live with her parents at the nudist colony."

That last one -- I kid you not -- is from a law school exam hypothetical. I don't know if that makes it funnier or less funny.

Anyway, for anyone thinking about it: you probably shouldn't drop out of law school unless you've really got something better to do. All that money and time down the drain -- at least if you stick it out you get a degree that has some value. Just my two cents. I dunno.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2006, 12:03:42 PM »
at least if you stick it out you get a degree that has some value. Just my two cents. I dunno.

Value is subjective. If you are unemployed a year after finishing law school, or make only $40k working long hours at a job you hate, you might not believe the degree has any value.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2006, 12:12:06 PM »
i had a moment of weakness several weeks ago where i thought that maybe i actually would drop out of law school...

i enjoy the material, etc. but i absolutely HATE the classes

lecture halls chocked full of officious, self-righteous warbling idiots of course guided by the biggest warbling idiot of them all...

ah the price to pay for a JD i suppose

loquitur

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2006, 11:06:37 PM »

Anyway, for anyone thinking about it: you probably shouldn't drop out of law school unless you've really got something better to do. All that money and time down the drain -- at least if you stick it out you get a degree that has some value. Just my two cents. I dunno.

That's pretty desperate, isn't it?