Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.  (Read 5316 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 02:26:12 PM »
Like the others have said...wait at least until you get through finals. Give the semester a fair shot.

That said, I'm all in favor of people who don't want to be in law school dropping out. It's a huge committment of time and money. If you think those resources would be put to better use elsewhere, find that use. Trying to complete law school for someone else is not advisible.

I also came from more of a science background. I'm a 2L, and I feel like there's things about this whole business of being a lawyer that I'm still learning. But I'm enjoying it and plan to stick with it.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 06:07:13 PM »
Things are bound to look better after a couple glasses of eggnog after finals. Hang in there! Family, festivities, turkey, and brown paper packages tied up with string await us if we can just make it through the next month!

I am a 1L law student and I am seriously considering dropping out. My reasons for dropping out are pretty standard in that I find the subject matter boring, I fear not being able to find a job after graduation, I think I will hate practicing law, I didn't even like my law internship this summer, and I think I came to law school for the wrong reasons (parents expectations, profitable career, etc).

I think I want more qualitative work (science). I have a science background.

Anyway, i want to know what other grads, current students, and even dropouts think about this.

By the way, I am going to wait until after the semester is over to make my full decision.

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 12:30:47 PM »
I dropped out last month.  I feel like I've escaped something...the sense of relief is exactly as I'd hoped.  I just started banjo lessons last week and have been enjoying my new-found weekends and the Thanksgiving holiday.  I feel like I did back in HS after my last day of classes.

Maybe I'll become an underwater archaeologist down the line.  It sure as hell would be a load of fun!  If you think you'll hate it, drop it.  You only live once and there are PLENTY of rich (and poor!) people out there who enjoy what they do.

You are not your job.

1Lsucks

• View Profile
Im Dropping Out!!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »
I have decided to drop out at the end of the semester. I feel so relieved. I am applying to graduate programs in areas that interest me. Sure, I dont have the earning potential of a lawyer, but at least I won't be unhappy everyday and reading cases that are so d**mn boring and interacting with the kinds of people I just really dislike.

I went to lawschool for the wrong reasons. Before I even started the semester, I had a near breakdown about law school and being a lawyer. This profession is not for me. I gave it a shot, and it cost me a substanial amount. But thats life and things that are worth doing are expensive. At least it didn't cost me $80,000.

Ahh yes, the sciences are for me. Quantitative work, here I come, and hopefully I'll get paid to go to school!!!

Good luck everyone. And to those who hate what they are studying, don't want to be a lawyer, and are still in school. My advice is get out before you are stuck in a job that you hate for the next 30 years. Sacrificing a few years in your mid-20's is nothing in the long run. :D

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 06:49:13 PM »
Best of luck to you!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 08:43:22 AM »
I don't think the OP ever mentioned wanting to be a teacher. It was an insane suggestion from another poster. Have any of you ever been in a middle or high school science classroom since being in school? Nothing good happens there. Nobody is learning, few are teaching, and the whole thing is very expensive and wasteful. Besides, public school teaching is generally for adults who never learned to do anything practical. If the OP is smart enough to get into law school, he's much too smart to become a teacher, unless he's one of those extremely rare people who have a passion for inspiring children, in which case he should start his own school. Public schools frown upon anybody who wishes to be inspirational or useful.

I know this thread was back on topic, but that's a very broad brush to paint almost all public schools and public school teachers with.  It sounds like you've had bad experiences with your fellow teachers at the school you worked, same for your spouse.  That's no reason to launch some conspiracy theory attack against public education in general, and demean all teachers everywhere.  I agree it was an odd suggestion considering the reasons the OP is dropping out of law school (Don't like law school just because you went there for money, hey! Be a science teacher, you could make a lot of money!).  But while I might concede even the vast majority of teachers and public schools fail at their mission, I would say much more has to do with the inability to get the job done rather than the unwillingness.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Im Dropping Out!!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 02:42:11 PM »
I have decided to drop out at the end of the semester. I feel so relieved. I am applying to graduate programs in areas that interest me. Sure, I dont have the earning potential of a lawyer, but at least I won't be unhappy everyday and reading cases that are so d**mn boring and interacting with the kinds of people I just really dislike.

I went to lawschool for the wrong reasons. Before I even started the semester, I had a near breakdown about law school and being a lawyer. This profession is not for me. I gave it a shot, and it cost me a substanial amount. But thats life and things that are worth doing are expensive. At least it didn't cost me $80,000.

Ahh yes, the sciences are for me. Quantitative work, here I come, and hopefully I'll get paid to go to school!!!

Good luck everyone. And to those who hate what they are studying, don't want to be a lawyer, and are still in school. My advice is get out before you are stuck in a job that you hate for the next 30 years. Sacrificing a few years in your mid-20's is nothing in the long run. :D

These are definitely all exactly the right reasons to leave.

I learned this lesson in grad school, myself, after I ran myself into the ground refusing to quit a degree I really didn't want. Grades paid for it, too, and since I'm not a 1L yet, I'm afraid it's going to haunt me with admissions, since the F I have (from an incomplete) was in con law... I did eventually drop out, because I realized I hated it that much.

If you absolutely hate the work, you're wasting your time being there. Graduate/professional school is too much work to not enjoy what you're training for, and it's not worth the stress and heartache unless you do.

Good luck!
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 03:14:28 PM »
One has to admire the power of LSD.
People who have already dropped out of law school still post here.
Air Force JAG Corps

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 01:39:04 PM »
I'm amazed more drop-outs don't post here.  We have a lot more time on our hands now!
You are not your job.

jewelbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 03:44:24 PM »
I too am a LS drop out. I come here every once in awhile to remind myself what an insane time LS was for me. I mean seriously, everyone on this board is f-king nuts. I get it. I was there too, but now, just a few months after I dropped out, it seems like years have gone by and I can't relate anymore. Anyway, you know if you should drop out. If every day is torture, leave and don't look back. If you get some amount of joy out of it, stay.