Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.  (Read 5269 times)

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:23:12 PM »
who the hell said there aren't any teachers?  Teachers are the happiest people I know.
And compared to lawyers...are you kidding me?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 11:49:49 AM »
You know happy teachers? Are they drunk?

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 12:18:48 PM »
My SO is a teacher and he's incredibly happy with his choice of professions. Sure, he's frustrated a lot by rampant stupidity and the lack of respect teachers get. On the other hand, he's said frequently that he can't believe he gets paid to do his job, he feels like he's cheating or something, because he loves it so much.

I can only hope I like any law job I have that much.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 06:15:47 PM »
Good to hear it. This leaves 5 people left in the world who like teaching.

I hereby withdraw my hijack.

19guy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 12:45:06 PM »
Uh, teachers have much higher job satisfaction than lawyers. And in some states, it's a better bet financially than being a lawyer, definitely. Science teachers are in demand. When you calculate what you'll make with a masters, the great benefits (including pension that eliminates need to save as much for retirement), and summers off, you're making more than an average lawyer. And there's no debt!

I agree with the other posters that you should wait until after finals to decide. What state do you want to work in? Check out teacher salaries. Based on your original post, I'd guess you'd be much happier in the long run teaching. I'd say start by taking a semeester off and exploring the other option.

Btw, if someone is thinking about trotting out numbers showing that lawyers make much more than teachers, then remember that the avg. figure includes a small group making a ton and the biglaw people working jobs that are difficult to get and brutal to have.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 04:24:14 PM »
I don't think the OP ever mentioned wanting to be a teacher. It was an insane suggestion from another poster. Have any of you ever been in a middle or high school science classroom since being in school? Nothing good happens there. Nobody is learning, few are teaching, and the whole thing is very expensive and wasteful. Besides, public school teaching is generally for adults who never learned to do anything practical. If the OP is smart enough to get into law school, he's much too smart to become a teacher, unless he's one of those extremely rare people who have a passion for inspiring children, in which case he should start his own school. Public schools frown upon anybody who wishes to be inspirational or useful.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 07:36:28 PM »
wow - ur opinion about teachers is assinine.
check the footnotes ya'll

NYCLAW08

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 08:06:40 PM »
I also am thinking about dropping out. I have a science background and I am a 1L. I am going to wait until after finals and before next semester's payment tuition payment b4 I make a decision. In the end, its about figuring what is best for you and if it fits right. I feel that the whole law school experience and the career prospects (eg. tedious tasks, document review, etc) is not very appealing/fun. I think alot of people in law school go to law school without having a clear path to where they want to go.

I am going to go with my gut feeling in 4 weeks, irregardless of what my grades are.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005, 08:13:38 PM »
wow - ur opinion about teachers is assinine.

I'm married to one and used to be one as well. If it looks like a duck...

NYCLAW08

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2005, 08:14:06 PM »
on yea, one more thing. I have a friend who wanted to go to law school and when I ask her why she wants to go to law school, her answers were: family pressure, money, prestige and one more (but i forget which one). Its funny that so many people go to law school for those reasons and stay in law school for those reasons. Dont do it for that. Do it because you want to learn the law. Life is short, live your life not someone else's expectation of you.