Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.  (Read 5319 times)

1Lsucks

• View Profile
Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:28:14 PM »
I am a 1L law student and I am seriously considering dropping out. My reasons for dropping out are pretty standard in that I find the subject matter boring, I fear not being able to find a job after graduation, I think I will hate practicing law, I didn't even like my law internship this summer, and I think I came to law school for the wrong reasons (parents expectations, profitable career, etc).

I think I want more qualitative work (science). I have a science background.

Anyway, i want to know what other grads, current students, and even dropouts think about this.

By the way, I am going to wait until after the semester is over to make my full decision.

voss749

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thinking about dropping out. Looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 03:55:18 PM »
What was your pre-law education in?

clindwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 05:09:57 PM »
Seems to me like you should make this decision after Finals since this is a really stressful time.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:29:20 PM »
Seems to me like you should make this decision after Finals since this is a really stressful time.

I agree. Focus on finals. Nobody's having fun right now.

Then, maybe go talk to some IP lawyers who's work often resembles science more than law. Biotech law is a growing field as well. There's a great deal of room for quantitative work in the law.

1Lsucks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 07:31:11 PM »
I have a masters in science.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 11:51:26 PM »
strap a set on my friend. Its crunch-time. Nobody in their right mind likes law school right now. in fact, i'd say its a good chance everyone wants to drop out right now.
check the footnotes ya'll

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »
strap a set on my friend. Its crunch-time. Nobody in their right mind likes law school right now. in fact, i'd say its a good chance everyone wants to drop out right now.

I'll vouch for that.  I have three weeks to go (i.e., that's the end of law school for me, not just the end of the semester).  I've been working on a take-home exam for the past four days.  I want to drop out right now.   :D

voss749

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »
Get through your finals, see how you do and then make a decision when you are in a better frame of mind.

If you have a masters in science there may be other things you might want to do...
like teach or do research. Science teachers are in hot demand right now...the pay isnt
anywhere near what lawyers make but the hours are better and you get to do what you like.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 05:29:51 PM »
Get through your finals, see how you do and then make a decision when you are in a better frame of mind.

If you have a masters in science there may be other things you might want to do...
like teach or do research. Science teachers are in hot demand right now...the pay isnt
anywhere near what lawyers make but the hours are better and you get to do what you like.

OH MY GOD. NO!!!!

Do not become a teacher. There are half a dozen people or so in this country who actually LIKE being teachers, and they already have jobs.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 05:44:50 PM »
I'm a 2L right now. Everyone feels like this during the first semester.  Don't drop out. And if you are worried about doing well because of your science major, don't fret.  I have friends who were science majors and did spendidly well first year. Some people who love law school don't always do well . . . its those people that can buckle down and do heavy duty analysis without losing their minds that excel in the law school environment.  Good luck.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!