Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Didn't transfer, SO glad I stayed at 4th Tier!  (Read 3373 times)

• View Profile
Re: Didn't transfer, SO glad I stayed at 4th Tier!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 10:59:59 AM »
Tier 4 v. Tier 1:  The biggest advantage of going to a tier 1 school is that employers will give you more leeway in terms of your academic record.  Coming from a tier 4 school and graduating in the bottom half of your class is not going to do wonders for your career.  You will likely be in a "take what you can get" situation whereas the same is probably not true for a similarly situated tier 1 student.  Although this is not to say that person will have their top choice, only that they will likely have more choice than the hypothetical 4th tier student.

Regardless of what school you go to, if you are in the top 5% you're likely going to get a job, and have some choice about it.  What is not likely from a tier 4 school is getting a job outside the region of your law school.  Notice I said not likely, not impossible. 

The choice to move to a tier 1 school from a tier 2, 3 or 4 school is entirely personal.  Cravath isn't going to hire you if you graduate from Cooley; even if you have a 4.0, a billion published law review articles, several trial victories and a PhD in astrophysics.  If that is the job you want, transfer to Yale.  The point is, go to a school that will put you in the best position to get the job that you want.   

Re: the previous post
Perhaps while he or she is taking the typing class you should take a grammar class.