Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Didn't transfer, SO glad I stayed at 4th Tier!  (Read 3430 times)

LawDeeDa

• View Profile
Didn't transfer, SO glad I stayed at 4th Tier!
« on: November 20, 2005, 04:10:16 PM »
Just thought I would share my success story.

Lat year, I was a 1L at a 4th Tier school. I applied to transfer out. My 1L grades were great--top 5%. Law Review, etc.

I was accepted to 2nd Tier schools but the 1st Tier schools rejected me.

I faced the choice: Go to a 2d Tier school and pay full tuiton or stay at my 4th Tier school and accept the almost full ride they offered me.

It felt like I was making more of a career choice than an academic one: Go 2nd Tier and get the better job, or stay at 4th Tier and take my chances.

Well, I decided that BigLaw probably sucks anyways and took the scholarship to stay at my 4th tier school.

I sent out tons of resumes anyways, and interviewed at a lot of firms based on my top 5% standing even though my school is low-ranked.

Happy ending: I just accepted two offers. The first is a spring internship in a Fortune 500 company's legal department, and the second is a Summer Associate position at a Vault-rated top 100 private law firm. The pay is $2500 per week, and almost all summer associates get job offers at the end of the summer.

The best part: I don't pay tuiton for these last two years.

SO>>>> Sometimes it is OK to stay at a 4th Tier. It can work out just great. So if you applied to transfer out and didn't get in to 1st Tier schools, your job search may turnut OK anyways.

Good luck out there!

p.s. Don't know if I will be checking back anytime soon (finals!) so please don't post questions...

nate

• View Profile
Re: Didn't transfer, SO glad I stayed at 4th Tier!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 07:46:22 PM »
it sounds like you made the right choice.

however, you were top 5%. where i would say transferring up might be beneficial is for someone who is top 15-20% and didn't make law review. in that case, the closer you can get to the top of the rankings the better (assuming biglaw is a goal).

i'm sure you've heard it plenty, but excellent work.
GW

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:00:51 PM »
interesting perspective. yea, it seems like when you're in a situation like that, it's a win-win situation.

monastern

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:42:55 PM »
This just goes to show that making it to the top of a 4th tier sometimes is not good enough for a 1st tier to take you (Your professors must have written lousy LORs about ya) I wouldn't be surprised, after all! 

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 11:16:17 PM »
This just goes to show that making it to the top of a 4th tier sometimes is not good enough for a 1st tier to take you (Your professors must have written lousy LORs about ya) I wouldn't be surprised, after all! 

It also just goes to show that you missed the whole point of the post. Next time post your reply with your real screen name too ass.

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 09:29:55 AM »
congrats, that just helps prove that it's not what school you're in but what you do there that's most important.  also the real congrats goes to you for being top 5%. you earned the fat paycheck, good job!

kez

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 09:56:55 AM »
Congratulations on your success.  You deserved it.  ;)

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 11:52:45 PM »
Note to be an a-hole, but top 5% is pretty damn high, I could have told you that you would have got a decent job with that.  But for all the people not say in the top 20% it might be a different story.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

SteeevO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 12:17:07 AM »
Congrats! btw.. how much did the fortune 500 pay for the summer?

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 09:17:29 AM »
Great job on grades, law review, etc...I agree with damien's assessment regarding it not being about where you go.

To NOTA...Take a friggin' typing class.  Your post barely qualifies as the English language.