Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring: Class Rank  (Read 3562 times)

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring: Class Rank
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 11:48:46 PM »
what about transferring from a tier 1 to a top-of-tier 2 school?  How well would you have to do? any ideas?
big. fat. manly.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 11:56:19 PM »
what about transferring from a tier 1 to a top-of-tier 2 school?  How well would you have to do? any ideas?

so you're actually transferring down tiers?

i guess i would have to say top half. someone proposed on a thread somewhere that even if you are transferring down (or within tiers) that you should at least be within the top half of your class; the reasoning being that law schools don't really want a "mediocre" student, even if you're transferring down. this seems to make sense.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 11:57:59 PM »

i guess i would have to say top half. someone proposed on a thread somewhere that even if you are transferring down (or within tiers) that you should at least be within the top half of your class; the reasoning being that law schools don't really want a "mediocre" student, even if you're transferring down. this seems to make sense.

yeah, it does. but wouldn't it also make sense for a school to want someone from a higher ranked school, just so they could say things like, "look who transferred here"? i would be willing to bet that some schools would take a transfer down from the top 80%.
GW

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 01:10:58 AM »
Maybe, but:

(1) In this person's situation, the transfer is not a huge leap. The difference in reputation is probably negligible.

(2) Situations where someone is transferring from a significantly higher-ranked school to a lower-ranked school are probably exceedingly rare.

Sure, Cooley would probably take any Harvard student, but what's the chance that a Harvard student would desire such a transfer?

yeah, it does. but wouldn't it also make sense for a school to want someone from a higher ranked school, just so they could say things like, "look who transferred here"? i would be willing to bet that some schools would take a transfer down from the top 80%.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 01:18:37 AM »
well said. i was imagining a jump from a tier 1 to a tier 2, or something substantial like that. i could almost picture the look on the adcoms faces as they admitted the student from the higher ranked school.
GW

oxytocin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 02:41:10 AM »
mp is giving some pretty good advice here. I agree with most of the things he says, and I do know a little bit on this subject.

tina brings the axe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 03:22:10 AM »

i think a lousy t4 would dip down to top 60-65% material

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 05:17:10 AM »
Don't any of you feel sort of cheated?  I mean, I believed in the rankings at first, chose my school based on that (and money) so went here...  but its BS.  really.  I am completely underwhelmed with my company.  And while i did pretty well this semester, it doesnt make me like it any more... half these kids have never worked, they try to use big words that they dont understand when they speak just so they can SOUND like they know what they are talking about.
its bizarre.
I would rather go back to where I have non-lawyer friends to keep me sane and be in a 2nd tier school.  It just seems like they literally lie to us to make us think its different- but its not.  1st tier, 2nd, 3rd,whatever. either way you can pass the bar.

i am really interested if anyone else feels the same way.

big. fat. manly.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 10:46:32 AM »
i go to school in a major city and that's where i plan on practicing when i get out.

there is one top 5 school, two top 30 schools, one tier 2, and two tier 4's.

the rankings pretty much go like this here:

(1) The top 5 US News schools
(2) My city's two, top 30 schools and the T-14 schools that aren't in the top 5
(3) My city's tier 2
(4) My city's tier 4
(5) My city's other tier 4
(6) The rest of US News (including tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, and tier 4 schools)

So the US News rankings are pretty much correct, at least in terms of reputation (which also equates with career opportunities), but you have to factor in regional reputation also. Of course, this is pretty much common knowledge now.

Don't any of you feel sort of cheated?  I mean, I believed in the rankings at first, chose my school based on that (and money) so went here...  but its BS.  really.  I am completely underwhelmed with my company.  And while i did pretty well this semester, it doesnt make me like it any more... half these kids have never worked, they try to use big words that they dont understand when they speak just so they can SOUND like they know what they are talking about.
its bizarre.
I would rather go back to where I have non-lawyer friends to keep me sane and be in a 2nd tier school.  It just seems like they literally lie to us to make us think its different- but its not.  1st tier, 2nd, 3rd,whatever. either way you can pass the bar.

count

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 03:48:35 AM »
its bizarre.

LOL anner! The way you describe it, it's kinda funny!