Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring: Class Rank  (Read 3519 times)

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Transferring: Class Rank
« on: November 20, 2005, 12:19:14 PM »
I'm sure this has been beat like a dead horse, but:

Approximately what class rank would one need to be in order transfer from T4 to T3...

In particular looking at Santa Clara/USF...does anyone have any input about those two schools and their transfer policies.  Santa Clara's website says that they first look at whether you would have been admitted as a 1L?

I do have personal reasons for going to the Bay Area.  I was accepted as a 1L to a school in SoCal, my bf received approval to work from home so he came with me (we were originally living and working in the Bay Area).  Unfortunately, the working at home situation is not working out too well for him and we would both would really like to return to the Bay Area. 

Input, please.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring: Class Rank
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 02:37:12 PM »
I'm almost positive Santa Clara is T2 and I'm pretty sure USF is T2 as well.

In order to transfer from a T4 to a T2, top third to top 25% would generally give you a good shot.

In order to transfer from a T4 to a T3, I'd say top third would do it.

I'm sure this has been beat like a dead horse, but:

Approximately what class rank would one need to be in order transfer from T4 to T3...

In particular looking at Santa Clara/USF...does anyone have any input about those two schools and their transfer policies.  Santa Clara's website says that they first look at whether you would have been admitted as a 1L?

I do have personal reasons for going to the Bay Area.  I was accepted as a 1L to a school in SoCal, my bf received approval to work from home so he came with me (we were originally living and working in the Bay Area).  Unfortunately, the working at home situation is not working out too well for him and we would both would really like to return to the Bay Area. 

Input, please.

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 04:57:30 PM »
From USNEWS:

Tier 3. Santa Clara University (CA)

Tier 3. University of San Francisco 

So, you think top third should do it? 

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 06:41:45 PM »
Hmm. Maybe Santa Clara was T2 a year or so ago in US News. I think I may have confused USF with U San Diego or something. I dunno. Anyway.

Yea - top third should do it. That doesn't mean you're a shoe-in if you're in the top third. It just means you have a good shot.

I get most of my info on this on this website:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps

Go to the Database on the left side.

From USNEWS:

Tier 3. Santa Clara University (CA)

Tier 3. University of San Francisco 

So, you think top third should do it? 

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »
The only reason I remember that Santa Clara is a Tier 3 is because of the post on Pre-Law that says Dean of Santa Clara to USNEWS "Suck My Balls"...

Plus, my old employer's son was attending Santa Clara and they about had a s&^#-fit when it went down to Tier 3...

I've visited that board and felt confident that around top 1/3 would work, but I was wondering if those two schools are known for accepting transfers...I hear some schools take more...

Thanks

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 10:03:30 PM »
Yea... I was just giving advice in general for transferring to law schools. I don't have any info on those schools in particular, such as how many transfer students they accept. This will obviously have an effect as well. Try their websites, if you're really interested, you could try calling them to see how many they accept.

`

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 08:17:26 AM »
what about t4 -> t4, mp?

dl1917

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 09:27:46 AM »
you should call and ask the admin office. i transferred from 4th to 2nd and i must have called like 8-10 schools for what they would accept. almost all the schools were pretty honest with me. some gave me the run around, but most were cool.

Villus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 05:09:19 PM »
I'm a 1L at Santa Clara right now, and even though I have no specific insight into the admissions office, I agree that top third of T3, top 15% or so of T4 would give you a fighting chance at transferring. If you're lucky, you'll get my spot when I transfer lol.(hopefully).

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 10:12:02 PM »
what about t4 -> t4, mp?

I'd say top 40%. It would also depend on whether the school has a better reputation.