Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Doin' the Weekend Crunch  (Read 1589 times)

trouble

• View Profile
Doin' the Weekend Crunch
« on: November 19, 2005, 03:13:52 PM »
I'm sequestered in my condo all weekend, working on this #!)*(^  %^*(#% #%!@# %^9&#)%% memo...

Oh well, at least it'll be off my plate after Tuesday, and it's a short week....

anyone else feeling the heat right now?
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

eloisa

• View Profile
Re: Doin' the Weekend Crunch
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 03:26:09 PM »
I can sympathize... I spent all last weekend and the better part of my week working on a memo I turned in Friday!

Now I have to catch up on everything else that I let slide while I was finishing the memo. *sigh*

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 04:08:47 PM »
Mine's due on Monday.  I'm past being freaked about the fact that this is the first thing we're doing that's graded.  Now I just can't wait to turn the damn thing and get rid of it.

DanteHicks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 05:59:45 PM »
Got my eyeballs popping out from working through a Civ. Pro outline for 5(+) hours so far today (going to do some hypos the rest of the night).

Got 100 or so pages to read/brief for Torts on Sunday for Monday's class.

Finals are a couple of weeks away now and I can feel the vice tightening up on my nuts right now.

:o
The world is my garbage can.

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 06:04:20 PM »
Revising my memo...its not due until the 29th, but I plan on time stamping it and having it out of my hands by Tuesday...

Our reading week begins the week after Thanksgiving, finals begin after that!!!  Holy Crap...most of the weekend has been dedicated to updating outlines.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 09:03:01 AM »
I'm there. Memo isn't due until 3pm Wednesday (by email), but I work full time, and have school Mon and Tue nights, so I have to pretty much finish it today.

Totally sucks. Guess my kids will have to entertain themselves today.

scottxmacdougall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 09:58:04 AM »
I know exactly what you mean. My weekend has been filled with work.

Friday - I had class from 9-2:30. I took an hour and a half to unwind. Then from 4-7 I completed my contracts
              outline.
     Saturday - It was a day dedicated to Civil Procedure. From 11:00-7:30 I completed my outline and also read through
                some hornbooks to get a deeper grasp.
     Today - I'll be in my apartment all day organizing my memo and preparing for Property tomorrow.

trouble

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 12:47:23 PM »
...and good morning, my brothers and sisters before the bar...

I worked it last night until about midnight, when I could no longer concentrate.  After sleeping in to allow the brain some recuperation time, I have arisen and now it is time to lay the smackdown on the remainder of this memo.  After that, I will be up for a resounding round of Tort-Briefing, and then I shall wrap it all up with a quick look over Legal Analysis.  MAYBE....JUST MAYBE, in between subjects, I can at least get in a couple of minutes of the Chiefs game tonight.  (Houston, we have a problem.)
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 03:26:11 PM »
Got my eyeballs popping out from working through a Civ. Pro outline for 5(+) hours so far today (going to do some hypos the rest of the night).

Finals are a couple of weeks away now and I can feel the vice tightening up on my nuts right now.

You still brief cases?

DanteHicks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 11:14:49 PM »
I brief the cases so I can gain insight as to why the courts concluded as they did.  While most feel briefing cases is a waste of time (I do admit it is most time consuming), I'm trying to immerse myself into law as much as I can.  I am aware of the need to ease up on this practive and focus on outlines...I try to balance this as much as I can.  I don't read all cases word for word but I try not to breeze by them either.  I'm also zeroing in on the black letter law...but I want some context with it.

And no...I'm not a "gunner"...I'm as lazy as the next guy...but if I'm going to become a lawyer then I think it's best I get what I can out of law school...since I am paying for it.

I do refer to commercial materials when I'm in time crunch but I don't rely on them...they just supplement my learning.  Rarely will I look to the canned brief BEFORE I read a case; I use the canned brief afterwards to see if I was on target or not.

Does this method work?  Who knows...my first finals (ever) are in 2 weeks.  We'll see.
I have extensively read PLS, Law School Confidemtial (higlighter book briefing), etc.  I am aware that most methods/systems are "anti-briefing". 

Lastly,
I find myself picking up more legal terms when I brief (res ipsa loquitur, etc.).  Lord knows I need practice learning these terms that are mostly new to me.

:)

You still brief cases?
The world is my garbage can.