Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My prediction: Online law schools will EVENTUALLY be recognized  (Read 18459 times)

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My prediction: Online law schools will EVENTUALLY be recognized
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2006, 07:55:57 AM »
Perhaps the traditional brick and mortar law school students are worried because they can't see the competition.

In all reality, I can discern some advantage of DL law schools, in that the students are not instilled with the professors' political persuasions, relious beliefs or prejudices, such as they would be during lectures. The students wouldn't become carbon copies of their professors.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2006, 08:07:01 AM »
In all reality, I can discern some advantage of DL law schools, in that the students are not instilled with the professors' political persuasions, relious beliefs or prejudices, such as they would be during lectures. The students wouldn't become carbon copies of their professors.

This might happen in undergrad, but the vast majority of Emory law students have come in with their own policical persuasions, religious beliefs or prejudices, and don't need their professor to convince them otherwise.

If someone, by the time they are 22 or older, doesn't have at least a basic set of beliefs about the world, they have more problems then attended a DL law school. 

LawSchool@40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2006, 04:29:54 PM »
To all B&M students and pontificators of DL being the route for those unable to get into an ABA-approved Law School:

I am DL Law Student.  I cannot say whether I am typical or atypical, but I happen to be pursuing my education with others just like me. 

I scored a 173 on the LSAT. I have been accepted by three T1 and several T2 Law Schools. I was even offered two full scholarships (due to the dearth of black males in the profession), all after age 38. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.94.  I also have an MPA (GPA 4.0), a career, three college-educated children, yada, yada, yada... I have achieved fulfillment and success both professionally and personally. I plan on passing both tests the State of California requires, first time out.  You see, my life experience has taught me that preparation separates those who succeed from those who fail; minus the effort, failure takes the same amount of time as does success.

I will not be competing with you, nor you with me.  I may however, be your supervisor's supervisor or your Division Chief should you find yourself employed with the federal government.  I do not want a job at a big or small law firm.  I already have a corner office with a nice view.  I love my job and make more money annually than the debt you will likely incur.  I will incur none. I am also a retired Air Force enlisted member with a pension (thank you taxpayers and wanna-be taxpayers aka full time students).

At my age, attending Law School full time at the expense of earning a six-figure income simply isn't desirable. The only Law School in my area has only a day program and is a very expensive private institution.

My chosen and highly enjoyable profession will accept my DL JD so the argument for or against a particular method of instruction came down to practicality. I have no opinion on the ABA or their stance on DL accredidation.  It doesn't impact me personally.  I will state that if any of my children wish to pursue a JD, I will encourage them to attend an ABA school.  They're young and can afford the investment of their time and my money.

I wish you well in your studies, your subsequent job search, and your careers.  I hope you make lots of money, lots of babies, and lots of friends. 

My unsolicited advice to the young and ambitious: Surround yourself with people who love you and immerse yourself (career-wise) in something you enjoy.  Those who say life is short are only partially correct.  It can be miserably long without peace of mind.

LawSchool@40

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 10:40:30 AM »
That is an excellent post.  I am in much the same situation, though with state government.  While many people on here like to pretend that "one size fits all" -- and that size is B&M ABA -- the truth is that everyone is in a different situation, and that DL will work for some people. 

Everyone should carefully and honestly analyze their needs and goals before making a decision of this magnitude.

mklee53

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
Here!!  Here! to lawschool@40!!! 

BizLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2006, 11:39:30 PM »
Agreed, LawSchool@40 knows what's truly important to a DL student.

jgsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2006, 01:18:39 PM »
Everyone seems to bash kids who attend DL law schools. I say, if they can pass the bar from self-study, then let them practice.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2006, 02:30:11 PM »
Everyone seems to bash kids who attend DL law schools. I say, if they can pass the bar from self-study, then let them practice.

I agree, that person is in a better situation than a person who went to a significantly better school, and failed the bar for the 3rd time

lawafter40

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2007, 07:48:52 PM »
Well...

The young pups here are quite adamant and secure in their worldview. I'm one of those "old midlife crisis" DL students. To answer one of the earlier puppy's questions:

"What have you accomplished..?

Let's see. I spent 20 years in the entertainment industry working 60-100 hours weekly. I earned more in my best weeks than even the top 1% of you will earn in your best year in practice. I earned multiple Emmy Awards.

Then I cashed out. Bought rental property and stocks and started several online businesses, and moved to a rural location in Arizona. I spend my time with my 3 kids, playing, getting them to activities, and loving life.  I have no mortgage debt, no car payments, no credit card debt.

I decided to study law after my attorney in California offered me a full partnership as soon as I pass the CA bar, regardless of whether my school is T1 or T99. I'm studying because I find law fascinating. I'm at a DL school because I live 150 miles from the nearest B&M institution, and because I'm intensely disciplined and love working by myself.

You kids enjoy your prestigious school and bitchin' sheepskin. I'll keep my photocopied DL diploma and smile every time I look at the extra $150k burning a hole in my bank account.  ;D

See you in court.  8)