Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My prediction: Online law schools will EVENTUALLY be recognized  (Read 18095 times)

voss749

• View Profile
    • Email
My prediction: Online law schools will EVENTUALLY be recognized
« on: November 18, 2005, 04:43:18 PM »
As the technology improves and it becomes possible to do realtime video conferencing from home...
either the ABA will approve a program, or the federal government will step in OR states will start approving
programs.

I think the ABA will EVENTUALLY set standards of allowing students to take MOST of their courses online
but requiring online law students to take courses in trial practice and internship in person. I think
the ABA is very set in their ways...BUT they dont want to be outflanked or perhaps even have a rival
accreditation bureau be established or have an old one move into accrediting law schools
(such as the regional bureaus that alreeady accredit other colleges and schools such as SACS)

IMHO online law schools do not belong in the same category as "correspondence schools" since there
is live interaction albeit online. Also as for-profit law schools are being allowed now...various
states will realize...theres money to be made in online law schools.

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My prediction: Online law schools will EVENTUALLY be recognized
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 06:18:02 PM »
I suppose the ABA would have to weigh the benefits of approving online law schools. California is certainly proving that there is a market for online law school degrees, however sometimes it seems that the ABA has the same mindset as old farmers who insist that their kids stay home on the farm. "Whatcha need edefication fer? We don't need none of those new-fangled dang tarnation thing-a-ma-jiggies. Now git out thar in thaat field and hitch dem mules to the plow."

Yes, computer technology is a wonderful means of communication and education. I wonder if the ABA is ready to allow the law schools to use it.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:00:16 PM »
I might add that I live approximately 100 miles from the nearest law school, of which there are only four in this state. I have contacted at least one of them with hopes that they could establish a law school at the city where I live, and received a "we already tried that" answer. Many of the area colleges already have criminal justice and paralegal programs, which seem very popular and successful.

I would guess that California is benefiting from the financial proceeds of law students from other states. I would think that either the ABA would approve online law schools, allowing the law schools of this state to provide online law degree programs, or the state judiciaries would allow non-ABA approved law school students to take the state Bar exams--which would create an opening for existing online law schools to branch into other states.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 09:41:53 PM »
Just because there's a market for it doesn't mean that is should be done.  I just don't see ANYONE taking online law schools seriously at any foreseeable point.  And maybe that's the way it should be, since there seem to be less than stellar attorneys coming out of ABA accredited schools as it is.  Why throw online law schools into the mix, where anyone and their mother can get a JD?  Not good for the standards of the profession, IMO.

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 11:40:37 PM »
Standards of the profession? Why is the study of law an exclusive right of the elitists?

Perhaps those "less than stellar attorneys" (and I have been the client of some of them) are a result of the teaching of their snobby, imperialistic, traditional brick and mortar law schools. 

Read the LSD boardsite and the posts of the traditional law students partying at their solid tier level non-toilet law schools and who can barely stay on the subject for two posts and compare them with the discussions of the DL law school students who at least seem seriously interested in learning about law. Then tell me about "standards".

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 09:34:11 AM »
Read the LSD boardsite and the posts of the traditional law students partying at their solid tier level non-toilet law schools and who can barely stay on the subject for two posts and compare them with the discussions of the DL law school students who at least seem seriously interested in learning about law. Then tell me about "standards".

Because behavior on a discussion board is indicative of the kind of attorney a person will be.  Have any statistics to support that?

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 01:43:07 PM »
Who says that all of them will become attorneys?

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 03:57:40 PM »
(I really think that, considering all of the mudslinging, someone should switch the discussion to politics.)

I think all of the anti-DL law school posters need to grow up and get a life. First of all, the existing DL law schools are not against the law. There is no moral or ethical code against DL law schools, but only some people's refusal to consider something that is against what has been ingrained into them.

California is not the only place with DL law schools; Great Britain and some other countries also have some popular DL law school programs, although different than the U.S. JD programs.

For that matter, what difference does it make if some people want to obtain a JD online? Are the brick and mortar law school students getting brownie points for recruiting students to their schools? No, I think not. I would say that it sounds more like a plug by law school admissions to get students into their 'better' schools.

Now, I must get busy. Excuse me. I am studying an online course.

voss749

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 03:38:13 AM »
To paraphrase a popular president...online law schools will not beat the ABA, they will transcend the ABA...they will not bother to denounce the ABA instead dismiss it as a bizarre organization whos last days of monopoly are already in sight.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 08:29:45 AM »
To paraphrase a popular president...online law schools will not beat the ABA, they will transcend the ABA...they will not bother to denounce the ABA instead dismiss it as a bizarre organization whos last days of monopoly are already in sight.

Ha!  That's the best laugh I've had all weekend.  Keep telling yourself that.