Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To specialize or not to specialize...  (Read 485 times)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
To specialize or not to specialize...
« on: November 16, 2005, 06:09:06 PM »
I am interested in several areas of law at this point, including litigation, IP, and corporate law.

My school has concentrations in Civil Litigation, IP, Business Law and Financial Services, Health Law, etc.

Originally, I thought I would specialize in Civil Litigation because I was interested in that. Then I thought IP would be exciting/interesting (or at least more exciting/interested than other areas of law). Now I'm thinking Business Law, since it seems sort of more practical (my undergrad degree is in business) and I may start my own practice at some point. Also Business Law and Financial Services seems marketable, and could make it easier to break into business if I ever get bored with law.

Since my interests are so varied, should I just stick with a general curriculum and sample the various courses, it would it be better to specialize?

Isn't it true that you learn a lot on the job anyway, so you might not need to specialize while in law school?

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: To specialize or not to specialize...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:27:37 PM »
I suppose some areas of law provide more opportunity for learning various things. For instance, divorce law also requires knowledge of real estate and personal property, finances, insurance, business, taxes, etc, etc.

Concerning specialization, some lawyers might find it as boring consulting with clients about the same topic day after day. However, the benefit of specialization is the ability to provide clients with the best counsel and representation possible.

Why specialize during law school? The clients deserve it.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 09:43:03 PM »
A friend of mine's husband is the hiring partner at a big firm in town.  He told her to take whatever the hell she wants to take and not to specialize.   
Don't Panic

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 11:03:18 PM »
A friend of mine's husband is the hiring partner at a big firm in town.  He told her to take whatever the hell she wants to take and not to specialize.   

Thanks. Someone else gave me similar advice.