Law School Discussion

Legal Writing is KILLING me!

Legal Writing is KILLING me!
« on: November 14, 2005, 01:24:30 PM »
I just got my 3rd C- paper back. I used to pull A's on my papers, and I JUST DONT GET IT! Can anyone give me advice, a book or a anything that will help me... I just started the LEEWS set, hopefully that will give me some insight, but I dont want to fail this class.. I am working my ass off.

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Legal Writing is KILLING me!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 03:38:37 PM »
LEEWS probably won't help you with legal writing.  Have you talked to your professor?  Many professors have their own agendas in terms of what they want, and your best bet is to go talk to them.  The book we used didn't help all that much.  The only thing that helped me was mainly talking to my professor and also reading through and looking at a good sample memo and seeing what worked there.

Todd

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 09:32:51 PM »
Talk to your prof. Don't worry you won't fail. It's a new way of thinking and writing, unless you have a technical degree (for the writing part). Keep working at it, it should require more time than all your others combined.

SJV

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 09:43:20 PM »
Don't worry, a C- is a long way from an F ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 09:49:43 PM »
i don't if you've done this yet, but i would say the most helpful thing is to get some sample 'A' papers and study them. then go and speak your professor about why they are 'A' papers.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 11:34:22 AM »
This may be a no-brainer response but are you truly adhering to the IRAC format?

Our legal-pro prof indicated that the majority of students who didn't do well on the latest memos had issues arising from IRAC, or lack there of.

A lot of the lawyers I am personal friends with say that even if you are innately a lousy writer, you should be able to pull Bs in legal pro if you stick to IRACing every issue.

Coming from a history & poli sci major as an undergrad, it took some serious concentration and practice for me to write how the prof wanted.