Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Abroad  (Read 1672 times)

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Study Abroad
« on: November 13, 2005, 03:27:29 AM »
I am considering a study abroad program in brazil for a month this summer.  is anybody else thinking study abroad?
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

Bobo

• View Profile
Re: Study Abroad
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 12:15:01 PM »
I am considering a study abroad program in brazil for a month this summer.  is anybody else thinking study abroad?

What program are you thinking of?  My schools offers them in places I really don't want to go to.  I would love to go to Brazil, especially SP or Rio.

The only problem is, in my school people think those who go abroad for their summers either couldn't get a job or an externship, or else don't care and are just spending their parent's money.  I'm neither.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 05:32:44 PM »
i'm studying abroad this summer, but i haven't yet decided where.

anyone know if employers will look at study abroad as the "something legal" you're supposed to do your first summer? or would it be a good idea to get an internship when i came home, for the rest of the summer?
GW

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 10:53:15 PM »
i'm studying abroad this summer, but i haven't yet decided where.

anyone know if employers will look at study abroad as the "something legal" you're supposed to do your first summer? or would it be a good idea to get an internship when i came home, for the rest of the summer?

I just went to a firm event and spoke to one of their hiring partners and she jokingly said that "we all know what kind of classes they teach there" referring to studying abroad and I think she was inferring that studying abroad (if that is ALL you did) is not meaningful legal experience over the summer. So I recommend you get some kind of work when you get back.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 11:08:39 PM »
I've talked to a few people at Emory that studied abroad, but they split their summer, spending the first half abroad, and the second at a "real" legal job.  Most seemed happy with their choices, and have found jobs they're excited about for this summer.  It seems to be the only way to get the best of both worlds.  Also, look into study abroad programs carefully before you choose, as I'm sure some have a better reputation and/or are more serious than others.

mynameismud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 02:05:16 PM »
firstly, have you been to brazil?  it's a lovely country...that is, except for sao paolo and rio.  everwhere else is great.  if you've visited before, disregard this advice.  if you haven't, and this is just my impression, it sounds like a program where you'll end up stuck in one of these awful cities for the six weeks of class before you either get a chance to travel around brazil and see what it really has to offer or rush home to get a "real" legal job (stupid, stupid idea).  i recommend you look into a few more programs, there are alot of really incredible places you can go.  check out http://www.abanet.org/legaled/studyabroad/abroad.html.

also, the program i did last summer actually offered an internship component with a foreign legal institution.  i ended up helping a local attorney with his pro bono work, and now that's on my resume.  let's face it, chances are (assuming you're a 1L) you're not going to get offered a great job for this summer, even if you do get offered money for it.  we have the rest of our lives to work our asses off, and this is pretty much the last chance you'll have to take off for a summer to travel and have fun.  take advantage of that, you can work next summer.   

finally, i disagree with people that suggest the summer abroad programs are not meaningful experience.  i'm not going to argue with claims that nobody studies and the classes are ridiculously easy.  but that doesn't mean you don't get anything out of it.  also, i've already lined up a job for next summer, and part of the reason i got hired is because the partner had been to the places i'd gone several times, so we had something in common to talk about.

relax, 1Ls.  this stuff isn't as serious as some people try to make you believe.

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 01:45:37 AM »
fortaleza---live in a hotel on the beach for a month, study comparative con law and some other options ;D
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

colforbin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 03:24:42 PM »
I was thinking of doing Spain, but Brazil sounds tempting.

autodidactguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 06:20:52 PM »
I'm considering one in Spain as well. You can tie comp law into it and I wouldn't
pay much attention to those who pooh-pooh study abroad. Taking a first-hand look at a foreign legal system
and tradition is more than enough for me to want to go.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 09:22:57 PM »
I would love to do one, but our career center strongly discouraged doing a summer study abroad.  I think most people do it during the first semester of 3L instead when a post-grad job is already locked in.  I am hoping to do some traveling this summer before or after whatever legal job I end up with, but it will probably only be a couple weeks max.  This will be the first summer I'm not backpacking abroad in 6 years.

If you are in Brazil, I would highly suggest Ecaudor & Peru.  This last summer I went to the Galapagos Islands & hiked the Inka Trail, it was amazing.