Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Psycho Professor  (Read 12447 times)

Roadscholarus

• View Profile
Re: Psycho Professor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 11:32:37 PM »
Unfortunately for those of us who really have to go, many students use the 'bathroom ploy' to get out of being called on. I had two profs who made it policy that bathroom breaks were not allowed, ever! (and both profs were female, and stated female issues might work for the male profs, but not for them)

Officially, our school requires every case be briefed as part of class preparation. This policy is largely ignored by the profs under 50, and enforced by the older profs.

As far as being late for class, yes, your prof is overreacting > because he can. His mindset however, is that a client, a court, and a firm/public entity will expect you to be punctual and prepared. Before fire laws took effect, some profs would lock the doors to the classroom at starting time. Keep in mind, if you think he is an egotistical jerk, wait until  you're in front of a judge > particularly the over 50 crowd. Your prof may be doing your class a favor > particularly those going into criminal law (criminal law judges are inherently insane) or civil litigation.

cuteprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »
Yeah, I know.  Every stinkin' case for class has to be briefed.  It's exhausting.  My professor told us, I know everyone here has a full-time job and that's no excuse for not being prepared for class.  How sweet of him.

He said, "you know what you got yourself into so you better be prepared to brief when called on."  My other professor said, "I'm getting sick and tired of you all being unprepared for class.  Next class period, EVERYONE is briefing a case.  I'm going to give you extra cases just to make sure there are enough cases for each and everyone of you."  Sweet!

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 09:29:11 PM »
Two words:  Lombardi Time.

cuteprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 10:48:21 PM »
I just LOVE law school!    :'(

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 04:01:17 PM »
I have to say, I like that idea.  I wish some of my teachers did it.

It is really f-ing annoying how many people walk in late at my school; at least 5 every class.  This one class room has doors that slam really hard if you don't close them gently, and people are always walking in 10 minutes after class has started and letting the door slam.  Its just inconsiderate.  You are 24 years old, you are going to be handling people's legal affairs, and you can't even be punctual?  bull.

on the other hand, i don't think it is cool to do it to people for using the restroom, so long as they are quiet and respectful.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »
On one hand, I find fear to be a good motivator.  If a professor is a nazi, I find I am always the most prepared for that class, and as a result I actually learn something.

On the other hand, remember that grading is anonymous.  If you can overcome the ego issues, you will be just fine.  If anything, teachers like that make the students circle the wagons and use the common enemy to empathize with each other.  Since everyone has their turn getting beat up, it's not as embarrassing.

Being late is going to happen when you have to drive to school, park, and be in class at 8 a.m. every day.  But being 10 minutes late is just irresponsible.  I know *&^% occasionally happens, but no one can say that they are regularly held up by 10 minutes because of traffic, parking, etc.  There is a simple solution to a problem like that.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you what it is.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

sofine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 03:09:22 AM »

It is really f**cking annoying how many people walk in late at my school; at least 5 every class. This one class room has doors that slam really hard if you don't close them gently, and people are always walking in 10 minutes after class has started and letting the door slam.  It's just inconsiderate. 

florida, I love you! I mean, you are 25-26 y.o. and you're such a tight ass!  :-*

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 01:19:22 PM »
I don't think it's unreasonable to find that *&^% annoying.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 04:58:03 PM »
I haven't experienced having such a d-bag for a prof. Normally, when you don't know something, the teachers will allow you to pass and either mark you absent, or call on you again in the near future.
I agree with the fact that it's ridiculous that people can't show up on time. If it happens once b/c your alarm doesnt go off or something like that...that's one thing. But the people who show up late everyday have no excuse.
The whole "real world" argument gets tiresome. A person's ability or inability to please an egotistical prof who hasn't gotten laid in a while by reciting some relatively meaningless case information doesn't mean a thing when it comes to your performance in the "real world." First, who really cares how dumb you may appear to your classmates or professors...all that matters is that you're prepared at the end of the semester. I'd rather spend my extra time outlining or reading through hornbooks than fretting over whether I can give one of my profs a chubbie through stellar in-class performance. Secondly, you can be the most prepared person in law school...doesn't mean you're not going to get chewed out by some judge during your first trial...nor does it mean you're going to be a good attorney. 2-3 years down the road, when you're trying your first case...are you really going to remember or care about the "valuable lessons" you learned from professor blowhard when he made you look dumb in torts class? No...you're going to learn from the mistakes you make in the court room.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 12:17:55 PM »
While all that may be true, ultimately, it gets really f-ing tiresome at the end of the day when your professor has called on at least 5 people in a row who 1) ask him to repeat the question because they weren't paying attention. The first person asked can get away with this. The next 5 called after? Wake the @#!* up. And 2) proceed to tell the prof they don't know the answer. IF YOU HAD READ, YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN, IT'S NOT THAT f-ing COMPLICATED.

Its different if its a really complex issue that no amount of reading would have prepared you for. Its another to have your head so far up your ass you can't be bothered to take your casebook out of your car.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality