Law School Discussion

What percent of students actually graduate in three years?

What percent of students actually graduate in three years?
« on: November 07, 2005, 08:14:44 PM »
I took longer than expected in UG, what will make LS different?

eray01

Re: What percent of students actually graduate in three years?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 09:22:02 PM »
You'd better do it in at least five years because that's the ABA mandated limit. Some schools won't let you part time it. Usually, your scholarship and financial aid money is tied to your hours. and besides all that, if you're not in a legitmiate program that is designed to take longer, you're just slacking. I don't know about any other schools, but at mine there's a tendency for people to level some pretty harsh criticism at people who are perceived to be slacking.

lipper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 11:25:40 PM »
most schools won't let u grauate in more than 3 years unless u have a very good reason. It's not that if u get through 3 years of classes and don't have enough credits to graduate, its that most law schools, at least most in NY, won't let u get to that point. they make sure u are taking enough classes.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 11:15:24 AM »
Depends on the school, the tier of the school, to be correct.

At a typical T1 about 95% of the students that are accepted the first year get their J.D.s  T2s generally have a graduation rate of 85 - 90%. Your average T3 is down to 75 - 80% and T4s graduate even less of their entering class, about 65 - 70%.

Incorporate into these stats the bar passage rates and you'll see that many many entering law students do not actually get to practice law, one reason why law schools admit so many students in the first place.

eray01

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 08:35:32 PM »

At a typical T1 about 95% of the students that are accepted the first year get their J.D.s  T2s generally have a graduation rate of 85 - 90%. Your average T3 is down to 75 - 80% and T4s graduate even less of their entering class, about 65 - 70%.

Incorporate into these stats the bar passage rates and you'll see that many many entering law students do not actually get to practice law, one reason why law schools admit so many students in the first place.

That sounds about right. My school is T4. I asked a 3L how many people were in his class, and he started his sentence with, "We're down to about . . ."

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 01:20:59 AM »

[...]

Did hi ask about this sort of information in the first place? :)

As to entering law students who don't get to practice -- you've also to take into account that many graduates of law schools who pass/are able to pass the bar exam may not practice, they become law professors, for instance, go into business or politics, and so on ...

dft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 10:29:09 AM »
I go to a T4. The attrition rate for first year students is 8%. The attrition rate for second year students is 5%, and the attrition rate for third year students is 1%.

So that's 14% attrition rate total. Pretty good for a T4. It seems like the only the T4 schools with weaker reputations, like Cooley, have pretty bad attrition rates.

Hmm, let me look up Cooley here in my US News "Ultimate Guide to Law Schools." Let's see -- first year = 27% attrition; second year = 20%; third year = 2%. So pretty much half of the class leaves by the end of the three years. That's pretty bad.

In contrast, Harvard: First year = 0%; Second year = 1%; Third year = 0%.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »
Cooley appears to be 5th tier, mp!

dft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 07:31:15 PM »
Let's look up Roger Williams, a.ka. the school that gets trashed on this board constantly...

Attrition Rates: First year = 24%; Second Year = 2%; Third year = 0%. So the total is 26%. At least it's not as bad as ChlorineBlitch made it out to be for T4's.

However, RW's bar passage rate is only 59%. This is in MA, where the statewide passage rate for first-time test takers is 78%. That's not good.

lipper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 09:18:39 PM »
RW is in rhode island