Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missing 60%-75% of class. Chance to do well on exams?  (Read 2441 times)

guamguy

• View Profile
Missing 60%-75% of class. Chance to do well on exams?
« on: November 06, 2005, 09:12:01 AM »
So I will miss about 40%-60% of Torts and about 65%-75% of Contracts. Am I already f**cked? I am learning BLL on my own and getting policy from the casebooks. The reason is that I don't think my professors are all that good at teaching, and most people say that profs. don't teach in LS, you teach yourself. I feel my time is put to better use when I don't attend class. Thoughts?

trouble

• View Profile
Re: Missing 60%-75% of class. Chance to do well on exams?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 01:23:57 PM »
With most of my profs, attendance is mandatory.  If you miss more than 5 or 6 classes in a semester, you're automatically failed.  I take it your profs don't enforce any such rule?
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 02:04:43 PM »
Depends entirely on your school. At my school, nearly everything we need to know comes from the profs themselves, especially in torts and criminal law. Granted, you could get everything from other sources, but you have no idea which points your prof truly cares about. If you can get an outline from someone who HAS gone to class, you'll be able to narrow down the areas of focus.

Of course, I have heard that at some schools class has nothing at all to do with the material on the exam.

I don't blame you for skipping, though. If you really work hard, you may even have an advantage. You have a better chance of seeing the forest despite the trees. Profs are good at making you get lost in the trees. Then on the exam they want to see you describe the forest.

lawsuperstar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 02:11:50 PM »
I'm not absolutely positve, but I think I remember hearing something about ABA guidelines for class attendance.  I would check those to make sure that you're even allowed to miss that much class.

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »
2 good reasons why you are making a bad move
1) From what I understand, the ABA forbids anyone with more than 5 absences from passing a class at an ABA accredited school. In fact, you are prevented from even taking the final.

2) Many profs opinions on the law are diffent, even if only slightly, from what you will find in a commercial supplement, or even in your casebook. If you give them an answer that you got from an outside source, and they want something different, your answer will be wrong. Plus in class, many profs give clues as to what they are looking for on an exam, you will not know what they want stressed, and how they want answers presented.

guamguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 05:15:18 PM »
To everyone talking about ABA guidelines, etc...

One of my classes is "attendance not mandatory" and the other is mandatory but the professor never does roll call.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 12:11:38 AM »
I think mising a class every now and then doesnt hurt at all and may actually help a little bit, but missing as much as you claim to be missing seems pretty dangerous. Id say that you are screwed since you are even questioning how it will affect you. If you were stone cold positive that it was better for you to miss and not asking what others think, Id say youre fine. However since you state that you might be wrong, Id say you are wrong.

I really have a hard time understanding anyone that thinks 90 minutes outside of class is more beneficial than inside of class.

I know that if I missed 70% of my classes it would be directly linked to laziness and I would be screwed for finals. I never went to class in undergrad and it hurt me more than Id like to admit.

uesdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 12:21:39 AM »
I went to most classes and stayed in the middle of the class. At my school what mattered was that you did the reading or that you were extremely clever. I know of people who never showed up to class and did pretty well. There were also folks who didn't do much reading.

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 08:08:33 AM »
ABA guidelines aside, there are another two reasons why what you are doing is mind-numbingly stupid. (1) Everyone else is doing what you do, and going to class, which secures an advantage for themn - no matter what your professors do. (2)I guarantee you that the reason you are not going to class has less to to do with your stated issues and more to do with rationalizing a means of getting out of work.

Dude, you are shooting yourself in the foot big time.

mynameismud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 04:46:10 PM »
dont' listen to any of these people, especially the ones that say missing class is stupid.  you should be more concerned with what works for you, personally. 

me, i think law school is a joke.  i rarely go to class; my first year i missed less than half, this year i've skipped more than half the classes.  and i'm in the top third of my class at a first tier school.  i find that when i do go, i end up wishing i hadn't, because i can spend that time actually learning.  i have friends that went only to their first and last classes last year, and still did well.  i take at least a one or two week vacation to somewhere every semester.  i find that if i really want to, i can learn everything i need to know to nail an exam in a matter of days.  and i don't want to hear about how i won't know what i need to know to pass the bar or practice law.  you learn for the bar during barbri, and you learn for actual practice by doing grunt work for another attorney during your summers and first few years as an associate.

i'm paying $30 a year to get my law degree, i can set my own schedule.  i'm not going to go to class just so my professors (who are generally overpaid underacheivers) can feel important in front of a captive audience...although it's not really an audience if they're all on IM or playing fantasy football rather than listening.  i don't care to listen to other students who really have no idea what they're talking about.  besides, distancing myself a bit means i can actually carry on a discussion about something that's not in any way law-related.  alot of my colleagues can't do this.  they've completely lost what little social skills they had when they started, and like it or not, the way you interact with other people is often more important to your career opportunities than work ethic or grades.

to anyone who thinks not going to class is stupid - i'm actually enjoying myself these three years, and i'll laugh all the way to the bank when i'm the one who gets asked to return to the law firm i'm working at this summer after finishing my third year.