Law School Discussion

Missing 60%-75% of class. Chance to do well on exams?

Re: Missing 60%-75% of class. Chance to do well on exams?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 02:01:37 PM »
Whether you like it not, your summer firm will expect you to show up, do tedious work, and stay there for 8-10 hours per day, and to top it off, act like you worship everyone senior to you and the firm itself.

I'm not saying that you won't show up or are incapable of excelling, but chances are, if you find your time spent in a law class as extremely tedious and trivial, then you will have a hard time being content w/ the work that you will be doing over the summer. (At the same time, there are other career paths that you can take and still be very successful.)

Also, showing up for class can also be worthwhile if the prof considers you to be an intellectual who is worthy of recommendation to a firm or judge. Many profs have worked in the private sector and/or were judicial law clerks and still have very strong ties.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 10:28:45 AM »
I skipped about 70% of my med school classes (except the labs, of course) and did very well (3.9). That is just wrote memorization, though. It was easy to study the material on my own.

LS is more theory and application. Although I understand the rules and BLL that I read from the cases (let's face it, it ain't all that hard), going to class helps me to better synthesize everything and apply the rules to other situations.

My guess as for how you'll do on the final is really dependent on any curve your school imposes. My school is a B median. If I never went to any classes and just took the final after reading the E&E, I'd probably end up with a B or B-.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 06:08:53 PM »
I skipped about 70% of my med school classes (except the labs, of course) and did very well (3.9). That is just wrote memorization, though. It was easy to study the material on my own.

LS is more theory and application. Although I understand the rules and BLL that I read from the cases (let's face it, it ain't all that hard), going to class helps me to better synthesize everything and apply the rules to other situations.

My guess as for how you'll do on the final is really dependent on any curve your school imposes. My school is a B median. If I never went to any classes and just took the final after reading the E&E, I'd probably end up with a B or B-.

Like you said, that is if you only read E&E and never went to class. In my case, I attended or attend class long enough to know what the professor wants in an exam, and once I know what it is, I apply it on my own, at home. I have used that time to take about 20 previous exams already and sent 5 of them to my professors who told me "You're getting it". I won't know until the tests, of course, but I feel above the median right now, and with some more practice, I feel I can go as high as I want to.

Suen2b

• Sue 'em all (and I will collect the fee) ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 03:48:10 PM »

I never go to class unless I have to. Not only does it make it easier for me to manage my own life the way I want, but I also get more time to do studying FOR exams. Exceptions are courses I know the professors tend to favor students that show up. For these classes, I prepare extensively, sit in front and show real ineterst, no matter what I really think about the course.

Many types of schools have mandatory policies, but finding out from higher-class students always helps. I know many students that tape lectures they know are vital. Not always very accepted, but helpful.

All I can say is, not attending lectures have never hurt me, but don't stay away from a class you know the professor likes to see students attend. Know your school, know your lectures, be informed.

I know many students that attend evey single class from the time they enter elementary school until they are professionals. I am not convinced this makes them more of a genius than lazy me ;)

dft

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
3.9 in med school? Sh-t.

How would you compare med school to law school? I would think that the first year of law school is harder than any individual year of med school but that med school on the whole is harder.

Two of my roommates disagree though. One's not in med school, he's in dental school; but he's a slacker by dental school standards because he's set for life (he's taking over his dad's lucrative dental practice). The other's father is a nephrologist, so maybe that's why he says that.

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 09:00:16 PM »
Wow. That's all I can manage at this point.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 10:48:18 PM »
I missed as much class as you did at one of the top 3 law schools and have an A- average. (b/b+ is the average)
I worked loads at home though, I just have never been into attending class.  I think when you "home school" you end up having to do more work, because you need to teach yourself everythign (as opposed to what the prof cares about).  I don't see this as a bad thing though really.  My whole life (high school, college, law school) I have heard that this was going to bite me in the ass and it hasn't so far.

I just feel like I learn better when I sit on my living room floor surrounded by boooks and an coffee I.V.

I also don't think it is right for other posters to judge you are freak you out.  Your job in school it to learn-- period.  If you are learning in the manner that you feel most at ease with, then you shouldn't worry about what anyone else says.  You are an adult.

My only concern is that you might be missing out on forming relationships with your classmates or profs.  If you feel that way, join a journal or help a prof research; find something you like.

Good luck on your exams; I am sure you'll do fine!

Suen2b

• Sue 'em all (and I will collect the fee) ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 03:25:43 PM »

Home school is the future of education. Not only does it give anyone more freedom and more sense of controlling ones own destiny, but you are also free of any bias being taught you from others.

just like the oabove poster, I have never been into attending classes and have never attended a class unless I had to. IHigh school is the best example of what a waste of time it really is to attend classes, unless your knowledge base already is totally dysfunctional, then it might help you.