Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Valid Reasons for Taking Final Exam on Different Date  (Read 765 times)

Appy

• View Profile
Valid Reasons for Taking Final Exam on Different Date
« on: November 05, 2005, 04:45:29 PM »
Has anyone petitioned to be able to take a Final Exam at a different date/time rather than the date/time published when registering for courses? If so...What Reasons did you use to have the school approve the change of date/time?

I am curious bec. I have a wedding I need to attend on one of my finals for Spring Semester and I already purchased my airline tix., hotel, etc. and do not want to lose it all if in fact there is somehow I can take the exam at a different date? 

Look forward to your thoughts besides the thought that I must take it and forget about the wedding!

Thanks.

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: Valid Reasons for Taking Final Exam on Different Date
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 12:22:20 PM »
It's unlikely because the worry is that you will tell the fact pattern to others if you take it early.  If you want to take it late, the problem is that a professor will have to write a new fact pattern just for you which is unheard of as a proper fact pattern can take professors weeks to come up with and refine. 

Maybe you could take the exam with a separate section at your school if it is offered at a different time (even though it would be a different professor) but that probably isn't possible and they might have covered some dofferent material anyways.  Maybe other people have better usggestions though as I havent' had to go through this.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »
at my school, a person can only take an exam on a different date if they have a conflict with another exam given on the same day. And the person must take it the next day. Personal conflicts, at least at my school, do not give a student any right to take an exam at a different time than it is given. However, I do know that what is in the school guidelines, and what can actually be done is different. I would suggest to talk to the dean of academic affairs, explain your situation, see what can be done. I wouldn't go to your prof. that u have the exam with, because obviously, they will be biased toward you taking their exam.
check the footnotes ya'll

eray01

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 01:43:53 AM »
At my school, we have from 12/5 - 12/13 to take exams. We have four exams and there is one exam period per day. We can take any exam we want on any day, and in any order we want. In short, we schedule our own exams, and can decide what we want to take the morning of. All we have to do is make sure we've taken all four by 12/13.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 03:22:40 PM »
At my school someone was allowed to take a midterm late because her sister was getting married that afternoon, and there were a few Jewish kids that took at later because of the Sabbath (our midterm was on a Saturday).