Law School Discussion

Use the favor?

Use the favor?
« on: November 05, 2005, 07:39:20 AM »
Would a judicial internship be best suited for the 1L or 2L summer?

I've got a nice connection to a state appellate court judge's chambers and was debating if I wanted to burn that favor for this summer or if I should hold off...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Use the favor?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 08:36:26 AM »
I would do it this summer, because most other 1L's wont do anything. This way you will have a serious edge over them at Fall 2L OCI. Plus maybe next summer you can get a summer associateship at a big firm based on your experience (they pay very well).

lipper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 11:17:36 AM »
i agree. next summer you want to work for a firm.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 02:19:34 PM »
As noted you should do it this summer b/c next summer you will be able to get paid work at a firm that is expected to make you an offer after you graduate.  At my school it is strongly suggested to do legal work over the 1L summer, and I have not heard of anyone who doesn't.  The tough part is that most summer 1L jobs are unpaid.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 10:45:25 PM »
1L summer, definately.

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 09:33:30 AM »
I agree, 1L summer over 2L summer, but don't commit to the clerkship immediately.  If your connection is that good, you should be able to keep the option open for a while into the spring.  Depending on what school you attend and your grades, you may be eligible for a sweet summer associate gig, which pays much better and is better for the resume.  You usually don't find out whether you got those positions until march or so.  I was in a similar situation in that I had tentatively lined up an unpaid position with an attorney I knew, but I didn't commit to it and ended up getting a summer associate position with the firm I would eventually receive and accept an offer with for after graduation.  I had friends that pulled the trigger too quick and accepted positions with a judge over the holiday break that probably would have been eligible for summer associate positions.  So, if nothing else comes along, definitely clerk - just don't close the door on better opportunities until you absolutely have to.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 10:49:40 AM »
Fantastic advice, thanks a lot.

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 02:01:06 PM »
If you're gonna cash in a favor, really cash it in.  Why not wait to see if you can use the connection to get the year-long clerkship after you graduate?  I have a feeling that will be much better for your career than just a single summer.

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 03:08:33 PM »
Valid point, and I would be quicker to agree if the OP's judge was at a higher level court.  But the OP said the judge was a state appellate court judge, which I am assuming means the intermediary appellate court between the trial court and the highest state court.  If that is the case, a state appellate judge is nothing to scoff at, but its also not the ideal judge to clerk for for a year.  You typically want to be aiming for the federal system or highest state court for a post-graduation clerkship.  Though this judge does not fit that mold, he or she surely has connections with judges that do.  As a result, it may be in the OP's favor to go ahead and get in the judge's good graces (assuming the OP does not get a firm position for 1L summer and further assuming the OP does good work for the judge over the summer) so that the judge will pull some strings for OP during third year.