Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Judge's Chambers  (Read 510 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Judge's Chambers
« on: November 01, 2005, 06:19:33 PM »
What exactly do judicial summer interns do?

I may have an oppurtunity for that sort of work this summer and I just realized that I don't actually know what it entails.

Air Force JAG Corps

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Judge's Chambers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 07:39:25 PM »
watch trials, arguments, etc. assist in drafting opinions. A judicial intern is a great opportunity.
check the footnotes ya'll

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 09:12:39 PM »
What exactly do judicial summer interns do?

I may have an oppurtunity for that sort of work this summer and I just realized that I don't actually know what it entails.

I think it varies, some do a lot of copying, others not.  I was lucky to be on the not side of things last summer.  I had a caseload and dealt with the smallest of motions (extensions of time, etc.) to numerous dispositive motions (more than a few summary judgment motions).  I researched it, wrote a memo to the judge, he got back to me with any thoughts, than I drafted an opinion.  It was a fantastic, fully hands-on experience.  Do it if you can.
Don't Panic

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:26:21 AM »
Aside from seeing examples of great lawyering and bad ones, it can also be a great opportunity to meet attorneys. It's possible that you may receive some invitations to interview with their firm. In addition, the judge and his staff can provide some insights into what firms and practitioners are well respected and which ones to stay away from. The judge may have even worked at a firm that you are really interested in and can possibly make a personal phone call on your behalf to arrange for an interview.

I highly recommend it. You may also want to find out if your school will give you academic credit for the externship. This can ease your courseload later on.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 12:22:03 PM »
It also depends on what level you're talking about.  I externed at a state supreme court, and all I did was research and write bench briefs.  I almost had the chance to help write an opinion, but it went to another justice's chambers.  I loved my externship.  Friends of mine externed in the lower courts, and they got to draft opinions on a regular basis.