Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transferring for personal reasons  (Read 582 times)

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
transferring for personal reasons
« on: October 31, 2005, 10:34:28 AM »
my fiance will be attending buffalo in the fall of 2006. im currently out of state in law school. due to medical problems, i was advised that if i didnt have a baby soon, i might not be able to have one. so, we went ahead and now im pregnant. im going to try and transfer to buffalo, so we can be close. do you think, this is a good enough reason (providing my grades are decent) for them to allow me to transfer? has anyone else had personal reasons for needing to transfer?

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: transferring for personal reasons
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 03:06:48 PM »
As long as you are in the top 15% of your class you should be able to transfer to Buffalo. (Schools already have their numbers in and aren't too hard on other factors like LSAT, generally). However, this figure is variable depending on what school you are transferring from, e.g., anyone in the top half of Harvard could transfer, but if you attend T20-T4 you'll need to be in the top 15%.

Although you're personal reasons are significant, you probably want to emphasize academic reasons in your ps and in any recommendations. Nobody wants to feel like they are being "used." Find out what the school's strengths are, e.g. focus on arbitration, IP, whatever.

I hope everything works out for you. Congrats on the good news!!

jondub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: transferring for personal reasons
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 04:59:35 PM »
Personal Reasons, I think, are more convincing sometimes than academic so I don't think that works against you. If anything, it helps. Basically I agree with the other poster, but disagree on one important thing. If you're transferring up to Buffalo from a much lower school, yes top 15% is absolutely necessary, but it really depends on what school you;re attending now. The strict 15% cut off number is misleading, that's all I'm saying. I've talked to one or two admissions directors and some say 20-25%. Buffalo is mid tier 2 so I would say the number is more like 20%, but again that depends upon where you're transferring from, how many people want to transfer to that school, their comparative gpas, and your situation. But yeah, personal reasons are actually what some schools are looking for. University of Connecticut, I know, explicitly says on their website that they encourage those with personal reasons to apply. Hope this helped. I'm not disagreeing with the other poster, please other poster do not come to knock my head off as I usually have that done by other members on this board.