Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preparing for Finals  (Read 753 times)

trouble

• View Profile
Preparing for Finals
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:31:09 PM »
This is for all of you who may be wondering why the hell you ever decided to attend this thing called "Law School."  I hope you'll get the enjoyment out of it that I did.  It was posted on another board by a poster named "Yerch."

"The thing they don't tell you about law school before you get there is that you are forced mandatorily to join the BIG club. The club of people who have suffered through law school.

Don't get me wrong. I love law school and am extremely happy with my decision to attend. But law school is a unique little beast. If a prof tells you specifically not to overstudy future interests you can expect future interests to make up 30% of your exam. Any time a prof says that their exam is all about reasoned analysis you know that it will be a straight up issue spotting nightmare that will allow no time whatsoever for analysis. If your school has only 700 students it will take two months from the time you register for classes until they inform you that you have officially been registered for none of them. They will create a mandatory online form to participate in fall recruiting and make it so that their firewall won't allow anyone to submit that form. They will schedule the workshop to inform you that preparing your materials for Fall Recruiting will take at least two weeks of solid effort exactly ten days before the first deadline. I could go on forever.

Are any of these things necessary? Absolutely not. They do it on purpose. It may even be subconscious on their part. But trust me that if you ever, even in the nicest of ways, suggest that there are simple solutions to any of these problems you will be greeted with an answer that always amounts to "This is law school now. I suffered through these things and now you have to as well." In other words "join the club." It is as if they believe that part of the lesson of law school involves subjecting you to a certain amount of unnecessary suffering.

In a way that may be true. Like I said, I love being in law school. 95% of the time it is like a dream come true. But that other 5% of the time I could take a blowtorch to the place and laugh as I did it. Wait until the first time you are in an intensely time pressured exam and discover that the same professor who has already warned he takes off big points for punctuation has printed off (or HAD printed off) half the exams with a typo so big it makes the very first question nearly impossible to figure out what he is talking about. Graded on a curve and half the class gets the correct question and half the class gets the wrong question (because he had copied another Civ Pro profs exam and changed the names in the hypo but forgotten to change them in the question - in case you were wondering). The rest of your natural born life may be altered by your performance on this exam and the sorry bastard who would gladly mark you down for a missed apostrophe didn't even proofread his own exam and his response to this is "Well, these things happen. I'm sure the mistake was spread evenly throughout the grade distribution." That's when your dreams begin to fill with visions of molotov cocktails, a part of your soul dies, and you know that finally you have begun to 'think like a lawyer.'"
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

MidWestLawGril

• View Profile
Re: Preparing for Finals
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:47:04 PM »
Don't think it is quite that bad at my school.

Our profs are available during exams to answer questions if we have them.  So if there was a typo, we could just go ask him. I did that once.

But I do get annoyed by a great many other things.  LIke all those freaking WestLaw and Lexis meetings we had to go to as 1L's.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:47:21 PM »

Our profs are available during exams to answer questions if we have them.  So if there was a typo, we could just go ask him. I did that once.

But I do get annoyed by a great many other things.  LIke all those freaking WestLaw and Lexis meetings we had to go to as 1L's.

oh man, you are lucky. My Trademark Law prof told us last week, if we have any questions about the exam to ask him before the exam because he will be in mexico when we are taking it.
check the footnotes ya'll

ablebear

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 06:48:57 PM »

oh man, you are lucky. My Trademark Law prof told us last week, if we have any questions about the exam to ask him before the exam because he will be in mexico when we are taking it.

yep - our prof left 2 weeks before the exam started.