Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone make their own flashcards?  (Read 1343 times)

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
Anyone make their own flashcards?
« on: October 26, 2005, 07:41:53 AM »
As far as studying goes, has anyone made flashcards based on their outline? I'm doing it right now, and it seems to be a good way of memorizing my outline. Anyone else tried this?
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone make their own flashcards?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 09:32:23 AM »
I do, especially for areas that you really need to memorize, such as elements, rules, tests, etc.

Making them yourself forces you to reveiw and summarize the information in terms your professor uses and you understand.  Also, you can make them for each chapter/section of the course as you go along, which makes the task less daunting.  I make them on large, 4"6" cards, which are easier to read as I study them while driving.  As I review them, I also think about information in the outline that I haven't included on the card that helps flesh out the topic.

Of course, they alone aren't enough.  Once you know the flashcards, the key is to be able to apply that knowledge to facts/hypos to do the analysis.  But I find them a great way to learn the R for an IRAC analysis.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 10:22:57 AM »
Aside from saving you money and helping you process the information as you create them, I also think they are good because then you can incorporate all the specific phrases that each of your professors likes to use...

VirtualJD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 10:22:39 AM »
I started making my own and found reading, case briefing, outlining, & creating flash cards to be to time consuming.  I purchased Bar Cards and now just make my own cards for areas not covered by Bar Cards or where I want additional practice.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 12:02:35 PM »
Do people find that playing with hypos and writing out exam responses helps you to memorize the Black Letter Law just as well (or better) than simply memorizing it from flash cards?

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 01:22:02 PM »
I started making my own and found reading, case briefing, outlining, & creating flash cards to be to time consuming.  I purchased Bar Cards and now just make my own cards for areas not covered by Bar Cards or where I want additional practice.

I stopped briefing cases about 3 weeks into law school.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

am

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 06:06:08 PM »
Anyone make their own flashcards

oh yea

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 08:19:41 PM »
i stopped briefing cases about 4 days into law school.

I stopped briefing cases about 3 weeks into law school.

den

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 06:34:22 PM »
i stopped briefing cases about 4 days into law school.

with all the support/advice you had been getting here, you should have never briefed. Even for a single day :) Now, what about flashcards?