Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school without a BA  (Read 1736 times)

Foxy

• View Profile
    • Email
Law school without a BA
« on: October 26, 2005, 03:10:10 AM »
Hi,

Iam 30 years old and single mother. I am working full time and taking everning classes at UCLA for the last two year and half. I have read that some law school accept student who does not have a BA, but just have some school credits. Does anyone knows which school  does and what are the requirements ?

Thanks,
F

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Law school without a BA
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 07:16:18 AM »
I've heard of Yale doing this once, but the man had some incredible accomplishments.

Even if you got into law school without a BA, what would your plans be?  Most firms won't hire you (a. because you never finished your undergrad degree and b. becuase if you got into a law school w/out a BA, then you probably went to an non-ABA accredited law school), and striking off on your own can be expensive and difficult.

I'd rethink this idea in general.  You're already taking classes towards a BA.  Finish the degree, and then move on considering law school.

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 08:43:12 AM »
Although most states require a 4 year undergrad degree, California is one state where law schools can accept students with only a two year undergrad degree.

California is also one of the few states which allow students with an online law degree to take the Bar exam and to practice law. A lawyer who has practiced for a number of years is then usually allowed to take the Bar and practice in other states.

California is also one of the states which allow 'law reader' education (sans law school) as a registered apprentice. After three or four years of working and studying at a law office or judge's chamber, the apprentice may take the Bar exam and practice law.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 10:52:46 AM »
Although most states require a 4 year undergrad degree, California is one state where law schools can accept students with only a two year undergrad degree.

California is also one of the few states which allow students with an online law degree to take the Bar exam and to practice law. A lawyer who has practiced for a number of years is then usually allowed to take the Bar and practice in other states.

California is also one of the states which allow 'law reader' education (sans law school) as a registered apprentice. After three or four years of working and studying at a law office or judge's chamber, the apprentice may take the Bar exam and practice law.

If you really want to do this, schools like LaVerne and University of West Los Angeles are probably your best bet (you are from LA).  I think there are some other ones close by, like the Santa Barbara and Ventura Colleges of Law, and San Francisco Law School in San Francisco. 

If you don't care about joining a huge law firm and you want to do government or other small firm sole practitioner work, these can actually be OK.  I think LaVerne is going to get accredited in the near future (they hired a consultant who used to do the accreditation for the ABA).

Look at your specific circumstances.  If you are OK with not working in a big firm, are pretty disciplined about your studies (remember, these schools have a lower bar passage rate), and don't plan on leaving California these schools can be an option.

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:21:07 PM »
Just bear in mind the risks you take when you sign up for this type of an education. It will be an investment that you may very well simply not see a return on. Unlike the previous poster, I don't think that a lawyer from a non-accredited school can work in government. There are many qualified people who seek out those jobs. Sole practitioners are another story. Those guys fail all the time. It's a huge risk in and of itself, even if you have a Harvard JD. I don't get any kicks from discouraging you, but if I had to give a recommendation, I would definitely advise you to not go this route. Finish your BA and get a job.

On a personal note, my mom went to dental school twice - the second time being in the US, after immigrating. She went to NYU at night, and worked full time during the day. If she didn't have my grandparents to leave me with, I would have been f**ked. Expect the same debacle for yourself, since law school is cut-throat even at the non-accredited level (from what I hear).

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »
Unlike the previous poster, I don't think that a lawyer from a non-accredited school can work in government. There are many qualified people who seek out those jobs.

Just to be clear, if you pass the bar in California you can work for the government.  I'm not 100% sure on the feds, but there are judges, DAs, public defenders, city attorneys, county counsels, who have gone to non-ABA accredited schools.

Also, this is California specific advice.  Since you are going to UCLA it appears that you are in Cali and this is appropriate.

VirtualJD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 04:22:15 PM »
Law school requirements generally follow ABA and State Bar admission requirements.  All states require some level of education: pre-law, Bachelors Degree or minimum college attendance.  You should check with the Board of Bar Examiners in the State where you want to sit for the Bar exam and practice.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 06:02:48 PM »
Let's just say it can be done. I got into law school without a BA. (I graduated this May with a BBA.)

;)