Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT is not the end of the world!!!!!!!!! right?  (Read 2521 times)

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT is not the end of the world!!!!!!!!! right?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 03:18:59 PM »
Benjamins it is...I also got a 157 (after testing in low 170s), so I am going to retake and apply in Dec. I'm sure I will be happier with my next score.

Even so, do you all think that you can still score biglaw jobs if you get good marks at a Tier 2? At this point, I am aiming for the lower tier schools in NYC, DC, LA, and SF markets...
Boalt 1L

dwijen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 09:27:56 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, you've been really helpful.  With a 158 and a 3.3/3.4, where can i go to school in California?

I'm looking at:
U. of San Fran
USD
Santa Clara
Pepperdine
Davis/Hastings (waay out of my league)

any others?

buggy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 02:18:57 PM »
Yep,

University of the Pacific, McGeorge

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 03:45:39 PM »
Yeah, I personally equate benjamins with success. If the OP wanted to work for children's legal services, he probably wouldn't be sweating these bullets about his LSAT.

not really understanding what you are saying here. so people that want to get into better schools only go into law for the $$$? why then are the public interest jobs in NYC so hard to get, the ones that pay $40,000?

i feel sorry for you.
check the footnotes ya'll

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 03:48:18 PM »
Benjamins it is...I also got a 157 (after testing in low 170s), so I am going to retake and apply in Dec. I'm sure I will be happier with my next score.

Even so, do you all think that you can still score biglaw jobs if you get good marks at a Tier 2? At this point, I am aiming for the lower tier schools in NYC, DC, LA, and SF markets...

can't speak for the west coast, but i know a lot of peops from cardozo, brooklyn, and st. johns who are going into NYC biglaw. If u go to a tier 3, like ny law school or albany, u have to be in the top 5.
check the footnotes ya'll

stangjunky77

• MSN Messenger - gohuskersfan@msn.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - stangjunky77@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 02:40:15 AM »
I need some help from you guys.  I'm really discouraged about my LSAT score and, because of it, I'll be applying mostly to tier-2 schools.  I need somebody to tell me that the LSAT is NOT the end of the world.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use a good anecdote about going to a good regional or local school and landing a good job afterwards.  I don't care if it's you or your friend or your friend's friend.  Seriously, I'm rethinking this whole law school idea.  Thanks!
my aunt has her own practice and makes over 200k per year. she attended a school in the top 100 but not top 50. but in her opinion this really doesnt matter. she claims to of had less than 10 clients in her 15 years of practicing ask or notice where she graduated from.

how does she do so well? she is very personable and has networked quite well. she does mostly tort and has two way relationships with a ton of people in the medical field. meaning she sends clients to certain chiropractors, pt's, massage therapist, etc. and they send patients to her for legal assistance. she settles 90+ percent of her cases out of court.she has also lucked into finding a niche in the asian community, who seem to be strong believers of word of mouth when it comes to confidence.

she also believes in enjoying life, therefore id estimate she puts in less than 40 hrs per week on average. some weaks 60 hours plus but with lots of vacation.

basically my point is if you are the right type of person it is very possible to be successful no matter where you receive your law degree.
UGPA 3.51 (3.74) LSAT (none)

uesdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 12:25:33 AM »
For what it's worth, I did well on the lsat, went to a "top" school and hated everyone there. No matter where you are, you're surrounded by people who want to be lawyers. They tend to be self-serving people. That aside, once you're in school the trick is to do as well as you can, figure out what you want to do as early as possible, and network. Get yourself a job, most likely an unpaid internship, first year summer. Intern during the school years, write law review articles, do moot court, etc. You're in ls for 3-4 years. The name will only get you so far.

Turd Blossom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 10:15:36 PM »
I also got a 157 (after testing in low 170s)

wtf happened?  were you taking the practice tests timed?

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 12:00:12 PM »
I pretty much choked. I could say that I got flustered bc my cab driver got lost and drove me to the test center late, but I choked.

I knew it was a bad day for me (granted, i didn't think it was THAT bad...) and I should have canceled, but such is life.

Here's to Cornell and NU, who take the higher score!
Boalt 1L