Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Baylor Tier 1? Has anyone ever transferred from here?  (Read 3252 times)

bearboy

• View Profile
Is Baylor Tier 1? Has anyone ever transferred from here?
« on: October 21, 2005, 07:30:08 PM »
I knew Baylor was a hard school - that I don't mind a whole lot - but there are little other things I don't like.

Has anyone transferred out of this place?

I have a full-tuition scholarship, but I would ideally like to be at UT (I have family there) or UCLA.

Am I out of my mind?

Also - what transfers yahoo groups are people talking about?

nate

• View Profile
Re: Is Baylor Tier 1? Has anyone ever transferred from here?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 07:48:25 PM »
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

last i knew, baylor was still tier 1, though i don't know for sure. it was right around 50, so it might have slipped to tier 2.
GW

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:39:12 PM »
Baylor isn't a great school and it's in a boring area. On that Yahoo transfer group, if you look in the database, there is a woman who transferred from Baylor to UT. You might have a better shot at transferring to UT than UCLA from Baylor. This woman was ranked in the top 6% or something like that and her GPA was only a 3.5. UT knows about Baylor's reputation and might overlook the GPA. UCLA wants a high rank and a high GPA from transfer students unless you are transferring from a top school. Good luck. Oh and Baylor is a tier 2 school. It barely missed the tier one in the rankings.

I knew Baylor was a hard school - that I don't mind a whole lot - but there are little other things I don't like.

Has anyone transferred out of this place?

I have a full-tuition scholarship, but I would ideally like to be at UT (I have family there) or UCLA.

Am I out of my mind?

Also - what transfers yahoo groups are people talking about?

txaggie99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 09:43:44 PM »
I have no idea what jdohno is talking about. Baylor is only second to UT in Texas as far as law program. For what ever reason SMU beats it out in the rankings, but BU puts out 100% better lawyers than SMU ever year. It is in a boring area, that is true, and what is even worse are some of the crazy people there that tell you that you are going to hell every time you look at them wrong. My cousin got a full ride down there too and had to leave after one semester for that exact reason.

That being said...You probably will not have problems transfering into UT simply for residency reasons (and the opposite for UCLA for the same reasons). Since UT is a state school they have to take 80% residents and you only have to be here for a year to qualify for that. That doesn't always apply for transfers, but it's better on an app. Also, I talked to a guy last year that transfered from a crappy school to UT, but he was #1 in the class.

regardless, Good luck in what ever you decide

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 11:11:37 PM »
I disagree. Many people put SMU before Baylor after UT. I doubt Baylor puts out better lawyers. Read Texas Lawyer in its annual school issue. It's funny what the law firms say/complain about Baylor. I hope you are able to transfer from there to UT. Good luck.

I have no idea what jdohno is talking about. Baylor is only second to UT in Texas as far as law program. For what ever reason SMU beats it out in the rankings, but BU puts out 100% better lawyers than SMU ever year. It is in a boring area, that is true, and what is even worse are some of the crazy people there that tell you that you are going to hell every time you look at them wrong. My cousin got a full ride down there too and had to leave after one semester for that exact reason.

That being said...You probably will not have problems transfering into UT simply for residency reasons (and the opposite for UCLA for the same reasons). Since UT is a state school they have to take 80% residents and you only have to be here for a year to qualify for that. That doesn't always apply for transfers, but it's better on an app. Also, I talked to a guy last year that transfered from a crappy school to UT, but he was #1 in the class.

regardless, Good luck in what ever you decide

brutal264

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 03:21:29 PM »
I have a friend at Baylor. She told me quite a few have transferred out to UT, GWU and a few other schools.
Good luck!