chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Clinics
« on: October 20, 2005, 07:21:17 PM »
So I am still applying and have no idea where I'll be yet, but it's about time I start getting ahead of myself, so here goes nothin'.

What exactly do you do in a clinical program?
Are you mainly doing some kind of research for a professor at your school or do you work with lawyers from your schools surrounding area? Do you have contact with the clients?

I would appreciate stories and feedback from anyone that has experience in LS clinics, esp. with housing or juvenile issues. What exactly do you all do in there?

THANKS
Boalt 1L

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Clinics
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 03:37:40 AM »
get ur @ # ! * in hands dirty bro
check the footnotes ya'll

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 03:40:42 PM »
At our school, there are internships and clinics.  The major difference is that in an internship, you are not "practicing" law.

The internship involves mostly observation and research.  Depending on the internship, you could have client contact, but would not represent a client.  In a judicial internship, you might do research and give a summary to the judge, or perhaps write some draft orders.  Some judges let you sit on the bench while they are hearing cases. 

In a clinic, you are provisionally certified by the Supreme Court and actually practice law and represent clients.  Thus, if you do the prosecution clinic, you actually prosecute criminals (under the supervision of a prosecutor).

Our internships and clinics are primarily with businesses and agencies in the surrounding area.  I have not yet done either, but have been selected for an internship next semester and am looking forward to it.  Both programs have been highly recommended as a way to get "real" experience and make connections that could lead to future employment opportunities (or at least references).

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 03:15:03 PM »
Survivor,

That sounds awesome...I wish you luck in the internship! As soon as I heard about clinics, it is becoming clearer to me that this is the way I want to structure my legal education. It makes it seem like law is more of an apprentice-like education. Thanks for the 411 -
Boalt 1L