Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do 2L grades matter after getting a SA offer?  (Read 4476 times)

lawsuperstar

• View Profile
Do 2L grades matter after getting a SA offer?
« on: October 20, 2005, 04:46:29 PM »
My question is how important are 2L grades in determining if the firm you work at as a summer associate gives you an offer at the end of the summer?  Any stories of anyone not getting an offer after getting horrible 2L grades?

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: Do 2L grades matter after getting a SA offer?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 12:13:56 AM »
My impression from people that I've talked to is that even if grades aren't great your second year, as long as you can explain why, you'll be okay.  One person I talked to said that she had a few friends called into a partner's office but they all got subsequent offers for post 3L, having a somewhat decent explanation for their grade drop.

lawsuperstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 05:50:59 PM »
What qualifies as a "decent" explanation?

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 10:00:20 AM »
Getting involved with OCI; student groups etc.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 10:52:37 AM »
2L grades might be important if you don't get an offer from your 2L job, if you aren't sure you want to accept the  offer from your 2L job, if you want to apply for a clerkship after graduation, or if you think your overall grades and class rank might be important in changing jobs early in your career.

Good 2L grades won't hurt and will give you more options.  I wouldn't blow them off.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 03:37:11 PM »
My question is how important are 2L grades in determining if the firm you work at as a summer associate gives you an offer at the end of the summer?  Any stories of anyone not getting an offer after getting horrible 2L grades?

I had a senior associate at a top Atlanta firm bring this up during my callback. 

She laughed and said it was so funny, because the firm had never seen any of her grades beyond first year.  She said all they had on her in her file was the first year transcript and they never asked for anything else.