Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callbacks- Questions for Employers  (Read 2492 times)

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
Callbacks- Questions for Employers
« on: October 17, 2005, 07:26:21 PM »
So what kinds of questions are fair game during call backs that might not be appropriate during OCI's?  I seem to get the most stressed out about the asking the questions portion, I never feel like I have any good questions, or I'm kidn of throwing crap out there I don't care about, and it might show.  Ideas on this part of the interview?
Don't Panic

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Callbacks- Questions for Employers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 07:58:15 PM »
You should be able to find good examples of questions online and/or at your career services office.

Examples of good questions are:

1) How would you describe the culture of your firm?
2) What opportunities for advancement are there at your firm?
3) What made you choose X, X, & X, LLP?

Bad questions are:

1) How much will I get paid?
2) Do I have to relocate?

Try to ask questions that you are actually interested in. I know it's tough, and you don't want to fake it, but that's the game you play at interviews.

Actually, I just Googled and found this site. It probably gives better questions/advice than I am giving:

http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/interview/AskQues.htm

My advice and that website are not geared toward legal careers/law firms, but it's basically the same, with a bit of a twist.

Also, "Law School Confidential" has a good chapter or two on this.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:00:57 PM »
not sure if this pertains more to call-backs than OCIs, but, i've found that lawyers love to talk about themselves. If it's a different person I interviewed with than in the OCI, i ask them about themselves. why they like working there, what drew them to this firm, what areas do they like to to practice and why, etc. A friend of mine has her PhD in Psych, she tells me to do this. It not only shows that you care about the firm, but also about THEIR personal views, which in term makes them feel good. some crap like that.

If its the same person I interviewed with on OCI, then i pbviously have asked these questions, and normally, i do a search on westlaw for the firm. see which of their cases have been reported, and then read it, and get some questions off it. "i read the X v. Y case, where blah blah, I found it odd the court held that way. what do you think", or some crap. Honestly, these people are looking for a personality fit, you have the credentials, you passed OCI, now they want to know if they can stand to work with you - which is why, i would think, asking questions about their personality, opinion, and feelings, rather than more substantive questions on the law would be more beneficial. (i would think you have already asked about specific areas of the law in ur OCI anyways)

thats my take.
check the footnotes ya'll

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:09:44 PM »
Great advice about asking people questions about themselves.  People love to talk about themselves.  I've gone into job interviews where I actually said very little, and essentially just asked questions and was able to bring the conversation back to the interviewer.  My dad always gives this advice as well.

I think it also helps you relax.  Asking about the other person can take a little of the heat off of yourself, which might help you relax a bit and give a better impression of yourself.

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 11:36:01 PM »
This is all good advice, thanks.  I think my biggest issue so far is being able to close.  I'll have a few questions that I truly want good answers too, and (even if our time is out) someone inevitably says "do you have anymore questions for me". 
Don't Panic

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 12:17:24 AM »
yeah, its tough to know when the interview is over. I think after 2 or 3 questions, and the interviewer is finished answering them, (when u have that akward silence), say, "Great! Thanks for taking the time, etc, etc."
check the footnotes ya'll