Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Considering dropping out.. any advice?  (Read 3842 times)

NYCLAW08

• View Profile
Re: Considering dropping out.. any advice?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 11:09:12 PM »
Is the JD degree versatile? I heard so many different opinions.. what do u all think?

1Lsucks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 11:19:07 PM »
This is in response to the guy who is asking whether JD degrees are versitle.

Listen, I hope you don't think those hours you spent in your LRW class going over citing is worth one cent in any other type of occupation. Ok, in all honesty, maybe its worth a little, but if you don't want to practice law, drop out of law school.

If you want to do business go to business school. If you want to do sales, get a job in sales.

I know sooooo many people who have received their JD's or are in the process of getting their JD's who think that their degree will help them wherever they end up. Well, that's crap. Civ Pro, Torts, Property (future interest especially), Blackacre, etc is not going to help you one bit in the non-law world.

Sure the analytical and critical thinking skills that you acquire in your 3+ years of expensive schooling may help, but I can assure you that you can or could have attained such skills in another occupation or another school setting.

Basically, a JD means that you read a lot of cases, wrote a few papers, and passed your tests. F*** it.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 12:06:05 AM »
Keep the big picture in mind.  I had a similar feeling a few weeks ago.  I couldnt see myself reading another case for the rest of my life and literally was about to have the biggest bonfire in the middle of my apartment. (the fuel for said bonfire of course being all my books)

The big picture is to pass the bar and get your damn license.  Dont stress too much about finals.  Get the commercial outlines (approx 70pages) per subject.  I wanted to make law review and get straight As.  Forget that I just want to get my license and start making money.

Try and be cool and look at the big picture.  Alot of people are going through the same thing.

Senior Belding

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 05:57:35 PM »
TO THE OP:

1) Where do you go to law school?

2) What was your engineering degree in?

3) Did you work in between Undergrad and law school?

Suen2b

• Sue 'em all (and I will collect the fee) ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »
This is in response to the guy who is asking whether JD degrees are versitle.

Listen, I hope you don't think those hours you spent in your LRW class going over citing is worth one cent in any other type of occupation. ...if you don't want to practice law, drop out of law school.

I know sooooo many people who have received their JD's or are in the process of getting their JD's who think that their degree will help them wherever they end up. Well, that's crap.

Unless you have your mind set on becoming a senator or president (well with some occational exceptions), why else do you want to become a lawyer if you are not planning on practicing as one?!?!

I agree with above, lawschool is not like undergraduate, it is not to give you a "general" background.