Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: practicing law abroad...possible??  (Read 2622 times)

nate

• View Profile
practicing law abroad...possible??
« on: October 06, 2005, 11:50:47 PM »
i've asked this elsewhere, but thought i might see what people here say...

is practicing law abroad with a US JD possible? actually, i'm sure it's possible...but is it likely? i see that there are a lot of "gloabal law firms", which i had heard offered opportunities to work abroad for those that really wanted them, and earned them. but recently i emailed one and they basically said that this was impossible. are there any realistic ways of getting a job abroad with a JD (ex. not working for the UN, which about 2 people get to do every year)? i don't have my heart set on some vague idea of "practicing international law" or anything, but given that i've focused so much time and energy on studying europe before law school, and that i would later like to focus my grad studies on the same area, i would like to think that it's at least possible. any ideas?
GW

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: practicing law abroad...possible??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:57:01 PM »
If a firm is going to invest money in an attorney going overseas, they would send somebody who has experience. not a new law graduate who has no idea how to practice law.
check the footnotes ya'll

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 12:25:55 AM »
so then it's about experience? but it's still possible for an american JD?
GW

dcbargirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 09:32:30 AM »
I only know of one firm that lets a significant portion of its junior associates work in its offices abroad. Many firms with international offices hire European attorneys, although they may let you split your summer abroad and trick you into thinking you may be able work abroad. You can go to a firm's website and look at the bios of the attorneys in international offices and see whether they have US JDs. You could always do JAG if you want to be abroad.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 01:33:21 PM »
You might do better inhouse at a multinational.  I know someone who works at Siemens and works in Germany a few months every year.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 04:50:55 PM »
You might do better inhouse at a multinational.  I know someone who works at Siemens and works in Germany a few months every year.

Yeah, I actually just read a chapter in a book on international law, and one international lawyer really recommended this. My question to you would be, how did you friend land this job? Was it by chance, or was s/he seeking to be an inhouse multinational?
GW

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 08:09:42 PM »
Totally by chance.  He had worked at a midsized firm in another state (about 4 years) and when he started looking at moving to Atlanta he answered an ad and much to his own surprise landed the Siemens job.  I think it helped that he had taken 4 years of German in undergrad.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 10:12:33 PM »
do you know if he had any academic background in german/european law? i've heard mixed opinions about whether or not such classes are worth one's time.
GW

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 02:42:08 PM »
He had zero background in International law but he was a whiz at transactions.  After he was hired the company took a lot of care to bring him up to speed on German & EU issues.

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 02:19:03 PM »
It is totally possible if you go to Harvard, Yale or Stanford. Some of the top firms have branch offices overseas, you should try to do your 1L summer over there and see how you like it before you make any real commitment though.