Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: back up your lecture notes, case briefs, outlines because ...  (Read 736 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
back up your lecture notes, case briefs, outlines because ...
« on: October 06, 2005, 11:26:15 PM »
... something horrible might happen to you like something horrible happened to me today. fancy black laptop was running great. popped the lid back expecting it come out of stand-by mode like it always does. pleasant wallpaper image appeared, but then melted away into a solid screen on white.

apparently the motherboard (or at least that's what the technician thinks) is done for. if its the HD, i don't know what i'm going to do. jump off a bridge i suppose. i haven't backed up a single file yet .. 2 mos. of lecture notes, case briefs, etc. - if its law school related it's on that laptop ...

don't be a victim like me.

back up your files. this isn't funny.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: back up your lecture notes, case briefs, outlines because ...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:43:19 PM »
call the company. i think they can usually save that sh_t.

... something horrible might happen to you like something horrible happened to me today. fancy black laptop was running great. popped the lid back expecting it come out of stand-by mode like it always does. pleasant wallpaper image appeared, but then melted away into a solid screen on white.

apparently the motherboard (or at least that's what the technician thinks) is done for. if its the HD, i don't know what i'm going to do. jump off a bridge i suppose. i haven't backed up a single file yet .. 2 mos. of lecture notes, case briefs, etc. - if its law school related it's on that laptop ...

don't be a victim like me.

back up your files. this isn't funny.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 12:27:29 AM »
Amen to that. I save my stuff three different places. I save to the hard drive during class, a jump drive when I am done with class and then I save it to my desktop when I get home. I do the same thing when I work on my outlines.

And, as an extra note on the topic. When you are doing your papers for research and writing, save continuously two different places when you are working on the paper and save to another computer when you finish a working session. I lost over half of a paper because of a computer problem during my first research and writing class. It was a complete pain trying to recreate what I lost.  :-[ :'( :'(

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 05:55:09 PM »
E-mail yourself. This saved me once. Even if you lose all your hardware the files are still on the net & and what are the chances of Yahoo or Google going down any time soon?

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 07:19:45 PM »
Our school has a network and each student has a dedicated drive (i.e. and P:/ or H:/ drive) and you can back it up there.  I think a lot of schools should have these by now. 

I actually had to send my laptop back for service, and accidentally left my memory stick on the comuter lab.  When I can back an hour later it was gone.  Luckily because of the network drive backup I only lost a few days worth of briefs...

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 08:36:15 PM »
T Durden, all you data is still on your laptops harddrive. Theres gotta be a way to get it back. You can maybe remove the harddrive and hook it up to a different computer. I think...