Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What else can you do with a law degree if you do NOT want to practice law?  (Read 1995 times)

Bobo

• View Profile
Re: What else can you do with a law degree if you do NOT want to practice law?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 10:20:37 PM »
I don't think it is just government and corporate work that precludes you from actually "going to court".  Fortune 500 companies often have their own litigation departments.  Different government regulatory and administrative agencies are in court all the time.  IMHO jobs that truly don't require going to court include being an agent (sports, talent, etc.), being a consultant, teaching law, risk managers, legal staffing professionals, legal journalists (well, you might go to court to cover stories as a journalist)....you get the idea.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 10:44:49 PM »
Sorry to say this, but if you practice law, you may have to go to court. If you draft a document and it's disputed you're the witness.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 10:53:53 PM »
And being a witness is minor? Just wait till that corp. lawyer asks you why the hell you screwed up a citation or something and then drops the big one...you ARE a lawyer RIGHT? Hell in court this summer I saw a judge ask a lawyer that...he was mad about her decision and dropped his file...hehe man it was funny but not for him.

Filing is like going to the post office, being a witness, a lawyer witness, is the real deal. Did I mention depositions where they can ask you about your sex life even if it's totally irrelevant? Might not have to answer, but damn.

dcbargirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 11:45:01 AM »
The OP said they wanted to do transactional law, not litigate and the government doesn't do transactional law. And in house positions are pretty impossible to get without firm experience.