Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LAW SCHOOL, YUCK!  (Read 1534 times)

Cutehonesty

• View Profile
LAW SCHOOL, YUCK!
« on: October 01, 2005, 05:02:48 PM »
Law school is like the worst schooling I have EVER experienced by far.  I'm a 1L and the reading load is unbelievable.  I work a full-time job and go to school at night, 3 times a week and it's killing me.  I can't read all the cases and brief them and expect to memorize the black letter law.  Where am I going to have time?  I am not fortunate enough to be able to cruise through law school w/o working. 

I HATE LAW SCHOOL RT. NOW.  THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY TO UNDERSTAND ALL THESE CONCEPTS.  *SIGH* SHOULD I QUIT???  THIS IS VERY STRESSFUL!!

VirtualJD

• View Profile
Re: LAW SCHOOL, YUCK!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 05:31:06 PM »
Not enough time is part of the design.  Working full time, which I'm also doing, is a killer.  If you really want to be in law school, and you really want to work in law when you graduate.  Just remember, the law school is only three years and that law degree is the admission ticket to the apprenticeship phase of a legal career.

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:18:27 PM »
I've already started book briefing the shorter cases (anything four pages or less). It has really given me a lot of time back! I would suggest that your book briefs be detailed enough to follow in class if called on. You can actually put quite a lot of information in the margins if you write small enough or use good key phrases/words! I'm sure that in the next few weeks I will be book briefing all but the largest cases. I also work full time and go to school at night so it's all about working smarter, not harder. Good luck and hang in there. You've worked hard to get this far, don't give up now.

BeerandLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »
I thought that a school, if you are a full time student, would not allow you to work during your first year. Mine does not. Further, it was my understanding that this was an aba "rule."

How I see it; Take out loans. Don't work. Your grades will be better as you will have more time to focus on school and then you can get a better job later on (because your grades were better).

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 10:15:24 PM »
The ABA rule is that you can't work more than 20 hours per week, although I think some schools may have their own policy.  I believe the OP is a part-time evening student.  If you go part-time then you can hold a full time job. 

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 10:19:09 PM »
I'm also working FT and going to school three nights a week. So far, the ony thing really killing me is the legal research and writing course. The amount of time I have to spend researching and writing (hence the name of the course, I suppose) is staggering.

As for cases, you can also find most of them briefed online. Just Google the name. If you read the case and think you understand it, you can pull up the brief online and then copy and paste whatever you feel like into your own brief.

My "briefs" are actually very long. Some of them are even longer than the actual cases. It's a bit misleading, though, because the case part that I write-up is generally fairly short (and mostly gathered from the web as a copy/paste with general edits to my writing style). After that, though, I add in info on Restatements that may be helpful, as well as read the general information on the BLL in the E&E and add notes from that. I also add any notes from class on that case into the "brief."

Once I start my outlines, I'll probably cut out most of the case specific info and just focus on the BLL. Having put all of the info from the E&E's and Restatements in my "briefs" will help me in that regard, as a means of review.

It definitely takes a lot of time, and my wife is probably going to sue the school any day now for loss of consortium :), but I actually feel like I'm learning while I'm briefing instead of just doing busy work now and trying to learn it all later for the exam.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 11:07:19 PM »
If you burn out now it won't matter how many cases your briefed.  So you need to find a way of studying effectively in a more efficient manner.  Just because the profs tell you to make a formal brief for each case does not mean that that's the only way to do it.  Go to book briefing and take a weekend off

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 08:59:21 PM »
I have no real answer to your problems, but I just wanted to say that working while in school must suck. I'm paying for everything with loans and I know I couldn't learn as much as I am without being able to focus 100% on law school. I book brief, read treatises, and use the commercial outlines to help understand everything more fully. I look at it as if I was hiring a lawyer-- would I want someone that did the bare minimum in school, or someone that really knows what they're talking about.