Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone have Dworkin for Torts?  (Read 3582 times)

Adqueen

• View Profile
Anyone have Dworkin for Torts?
« on: September 30, 2005, 03:13:22 PM »
Hello Indiana -
I'm a 1L at Seattle University, and next summer I will be taking Torts from Professor Dworkin. Does anyone have any insights, comments, things I should read ahead of time?  Anny insight will be appreciated.
Adqueen

PopeDirkBenedict

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have Dworkin for Torts?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 06:32:12 PM »
There is nothing you can do to prepare for a Dworkin torts class. There is no reading I can recommend (he has called Gilberts outlines one of the great evils of American society). I would say this: come in with an open mind. Listen carefully in class. Be prepared to be confused....at this point in the semester, my mind is still trying to put it all together. Prepare to be entertained -- the man is insane. He is a big believer in the Socratic method -- you will get cold-called on. Read the cases very critically -- in every single case he teaches, he thinks the judge fundamentally screwed up (if you know this ahead of time, it makes reading the cases easier, because you simply try to find the judge's logical fallacies). He does not teach black letter law. His class will be one of the hardest and most enjoyable experiences you will ever have.

Adqueen

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have Dworkin for Torts?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 03:05:01 PM »
Oh, awesome! Thanks so much for the feedback.  And excellent tip on Gilberts, good to know. Keep me posted on how you are doing.