Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does anyone else think law school is alot easier than you thought it would be?  (Read 7039 times)

celarkobri

I was talking (i mean bitching) to a classmate yesterday and what I think the hard part about law school is not the everyday specific hard stuff like grappling with cases and getting the reading done. It's the long-term drain of never having enough time, never having a day (or even an evening) off, the vague daily reminder that you used to be the Smart Kid and now you're just Average.

We both mentioned that when people ask us how we're doing, the answer is all "Yeah, I'm ok." It's incredibly frustrating and lots of fun at the same time. It's a weird mix of hate and love that sort of equals out to a general feeling of surviving but maybe not excelling. Because I can get my reading done, and I can ask the occasional intelligent question in class. But when I stop to think about everything else I'm supposed to be doing, that's when it gets to be too much. So I'm just kind of going day by day and getting things done as I can, hoping it will be enough in the end. So to say it is easier than I thought- in a way, yes, because I don't freak out everyday. But when I do, its like the blackest deepest hole, and I don't ever think I'll find a way out, much less have enough time to do it in.

CrossFun

• Keep the rubber side down!
    • View Profile
Amen to that.  However, I don't mind being considered "average" in my class as my fellow classmates are really bright and the class discussions are very stimulating.  It's kind of comforting that we're all moving at the same furious pace and grappling with the same issues of time, preparation and the above all, the fear of failure.  We all want it badly.  Some want to be the best.  Some are fine with squeaking by just so long as they can be a lawyer.  I would love to be the best, but I'm preparing myself for the reality of squeaking by.   ;)

eray01

The last two posts were right on.

Incursion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm in section 3 at UT and feel like the workload isn't that bad.  However, the concepts are getting a little harder, and I have looked at some exams at Harvard which have me a little worried.
3.97/157/166

S|

• View Profile
We have Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Dartmouth, Duke, Georgetown, several Cornell, MIT, Northwestern, UPenn, U Chicago, several Wesleyan, a couple Amherst, a couple Williams, a few U Michigan, etc.  The list goes on...

It's going to be tough trying to beat this competition.

It's all relative since you're going to the same school. I'm sure they all didn't pass up ivy schools to go to a 4th tier.

eray01

Speaking of being average...

Our school got our Facebook today, with our pics, names, and the schools we attended for undergrad. I'm at a fourth tier, and I was extremely impressed at the ugrads my classmates went to -- it's insane. We have Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Dartmouth, Duke, Georgetown, several Cornell, MIT, Northwestern, UPenn, U Chicago, several Wesleyan, a couple Amherst, a couple Williams, a few U Michigan, etc.  The list goes on...

I'm T4, and I was surprised at the list of undergrad schools here too. The funny part is the people who went to the top schools don't always match the people who appear to be the brightest either. Some do, some don't.

eray01

Surprisingly, there is nobody in any of my classes that qualifies as a gunner. I've heard all kinds of responses stupid and otherwise, but nobody speaks enough to be labeled a gunner.

LawJockey

• View Profile
    • LawThug.Com
    • Email
We have Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Dartmouth, Duke, Georgetown, several Cornell, MIT, Northwestern, UPenn, U Chicago, several Wesleyan, a couple Amherst, a couple Williams, a few U Michigan, etc.  The list goes on...

You must take into consideration that just because we were geeks  in high-school doesn't mean that anyone else is automatically the underdog!  I realize that an education from an ivy league (or other top undergrad school) has its perks on and off paper, but I view all of my classmates who are clearly serious about coming out on top (no matter where they went to udergrad) as equal competition.  If you are specifically referring to the job hunt, then you also need to remember that to be on top, you must possess the drive and discipline to study your butt off like anyone else who makes it to the top 10%.  Study on...
Looking for FREE MP3 Audio of Cases?:  AudioCaseBook.Com

JD_MSA

• View Profile
Now that I'm a little over two months away from putting this law school beast to bed, I think I can safely say that it was easier than I thought it would be.  I mean, yes, I worked my ass off, but I didn't pull "all-nighters," I didn't lock myself in the library during finals, and I very rarely took a book home with me. 

I think almost anyone could graduate from law school if they didn't have to do it in three years. 

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Incursion - What three classes are you presently in?  I'm in Civ Pro, Crim and K.  I'm trying to find a first year in another section that currently has the profs that I will have next semester. 

CrossFun - Yep, we had only gotten to three cases when I made that last post.  Now we have gotten to like 5 or 6.  But there are a couple of reasons for this.  First, my Civ Pro class meets on Mon and Tues.  I didn't have that class my first week of law school because we only had class Wed-Fri.  The second week of law school we only had that class on Tues because Mon was labor day.  Also, she spent the first three classes just going over basics and not even touching on cases.  So we have really only been covering cases for the last couple of weeks.  Plus we spend alot of time in class playing with hypos.  She always uses some hypo to illustrate how the case at hand could potentially be applicable in real life.  And her hypos are usually freakin' hysterical! I don't know how she comes up with them!   
Attending: Texas