Law School Discussion

briefing too much? study smart?

briefing too much? study smart?
« on: September 27, 2005, 07:39:52 AM »
I am a 1L and I feel like I am spending too much time writing these long briefs so I can prepare completely for class  When I am finished I don't feel like I am getting out of it what I should considering the amount of time I am putting in.  I know the advice on the board is that each person needs to figure what is right for them.  I am not sure how best to prepare for class, not waste time, and still get out of it what I need.  I guess what I am saying is, any advice on studying smart?

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: briefing too much? study smart?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 09:30:28 AM »
Well, stop writing long briefs.  You should be getting an idea of what sort of info you need both for class and the points that are important in understanding/applying the issue you're discussing.  Try book briefing, and then maybe writing/typing up only those nuggets of info that you feel are really relevant.  If a case has really complex facts, I try to distill it into my brief; otherwise I make notes to point out the topic/impt points of a paragraph in the margins.  I usually try to isolate the issue and holding, which I may edit depending on what the professor stresses as important.  If there is a rule apparent in the case, I pull that out.

I find this to be a good compromise between traditional briefing and book briefing.  I still feel more prepared for class  in terms of being able to pull info to answer a question, but I'm not wasting as much time as I would be writing out long elaborate briefs.