Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: original school won't let you transfer????  (Read 2523 times)

mks33

• View Profile
original school won't let you transfer????
« on: September 24, 2005, 12:31:36 AM »
a classmate of mine today told me that it is extremely hard for you to transfer because most law schools "won't let you do it."  she said that she had a friend who tried to transfer but the school she was at just wouldn't release her records to the school she wanted to transfer to.  now, i have never heard this before, but is this a problem that you can seriously face?  like i said in a previous post, i'm at a 4T and i need to get the hell out of here!

nate

• View Profile
Re: original school won't let you transfer????
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 12:53:48 AM »
that has to be BS. it can't possibly be true. can it?
GW

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 02:20:02 AM »
some schools have a reputation for doing this (like Cooley, but I rarely believe some of the dismal things I read about Cooley on these discussion boards).  in general, no.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 09:57:43 AM »
I've heard schools can give you the run around and make the process as difficult as possible, but I've never heard of a school refusing to release records.  I think that might be taking it a bit far...

adverb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 06:08:37 AM »
Many schools delay the publishing of rankings and grades until late in the summer.  I've heard that some schools will even hold them back until August.  That way, students will be late in completing their transfer applications (late = less chance of being accepted).  Just my own experience and observation.  Not necessarily illegal, but not ethical either.

chrisc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 10:17:14 AM »
Roger Williams is NOTORIOUS for not releasing grades/rank.  Believe me I know.  I hear it is mainly a T4 problem.

marketster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 08:35:53 PM »
a classmate of mine today told me that it is extremely hard for you to transfer because most law schools "won't let you do it."  she said that she had a friend who tried to transfer but the school she was at just wouldn't release her records to the school she wanted to transfer to.  now, i have never heard this before, but is this a problem that you can seriously face?  like i said in a previous post, i'm at a 4T and i need to get the hell out of here!

This usually happens when you are not at the very top of your class -- that's to say you're like 11th or 13th -- i.e., in a position that you may or may not be able to transfer out in prestige.
"Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one!"

tresbuchon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 08:58:16 PM »

This usually happens when you are not at the very top of your class -- that's to say you're like 11th or 13th -- i.e., in a position that you may or may not be able to transfer out in prestige.

LOL marketster, I know what you mean! ;)

theothertwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 08:15:23 PM »
Many schools delay the publishing of rankings and grades until late in the summer.  I've heard that some schools will even hold them back until August. That way, students will be late in completing their transfer applications (late = less chance of being accepted). Just my own experience and observation.  Not necessarily illegal, but not ethical either.

I'd say tis is not too big of a problem! I mean, the host school knows that grades and class rank is only released after a while ... they will hold your file until the first-year transcript becomes available. To ensure you've a priority date with the host school, you just file the application a month or two before your second semester grades post. The host school will contact your present school only after your class rank is determined, not at the point in time you actually send the application.
"Ph" is alaways pronounced as "f" -- and you don't sound the "g".
"Then, why are they putting it there, please?"

am

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 06:10:39 PM »
The host school will contact your present school only after your class rank is determined, not at the point in time you actually send the application.

Since when the host school contacts your current school?! Is it not that it's you that sends everything to the "host" school, including your transcript and letter of good standing (which includes the class rank)? At least that's what I did when I transfered. But you never know, different strokes for different folks!